This game is rated PEGI 3
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 7 weeks ago, last updated 5 weeks ago.
The premise of each game is similar: the evil green pigs have stolen the eggs from the flock, who set out on a mission to defeat the pigs and reclaim them. You face off against the pigs, who build structures around the eggs to protect them, and catapult the birds to knock down parts of the defences and destroy the pigs. Each bird has a unique ability, like being able to cause an explosion or inflate to super-size. Some birds are better at destroying particular materials the structures are made from. For example, the yellow bird, Chuck, can more easily destroy wood.
Using these effects you aim to complete each level by killing each pig. But a big part of the fun is the critical analysis of the stage to determine the best places to launch the birds, like a precarious explosive or chain reaction of toppling towers. The physics system often means that destroying a small fragment of the base of a structure can send the whole thing toppling.
The result is a silly but enjoyable and hugely rewarding game that offers an often deceptively complex challenge that requires experimentation and practice to overcome. Finally beating a level after countless attempts is immensely gratifying, and it's this compelling gameplay loop that's made it a cultural phenomenon.
There are lots of games in the series, but many of the earliest ones have been removed from the App Store, Play Store, PC, Mac, Web Browser, and other platforms meaning the only way to play them today is to track down a physical copy for console or a smartphone with it already installed.
- Angry Birds (2009) iOS, Web Browser, Android, PC, Mac Windows Phone, Google Plus, Blackberry devices, Smart TV, PlayStation Portable, and Amazon Fire.
- Angry Birds Seasons (2010) Levels are based on holidays like Christmas and Halloween. iOS, Web Browser, Android, PC, Mac, Windows Phone, and Blackberry devices.
- Angry Birds Rio (2011) A tie-in to the animated films Rio and Rio 2. iOS, Web Browser, Android, PC, Mac, Windows Phone, Blackberry devices, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 Kinect, 3DS, Wii, and Wii U.
- Angry Birds Friends (2012) You play with your friends on Facebook. Facebook, iOS, Android, and PC.
- Angry Birds Space (2012) Play is in space, with different gravity and planetoids. iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Windows Phone, and Blackberry Devices.
- Angry Birds Trilogy, which includes Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio (2012) 3DS, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, Wii U, and PlayStation Vita.
- Bad Piggies (2012) You build vehicles to transport pigs around. iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Windows Phone, and Blackberry devices.
- Angry Birds Star Wars (2012) Levels and birds based on the Star Wars films, featuring gameplay similar to Angry Birds Space. iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Windows Phone, Blackberry devices, 3DS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, and Amazon Fire.
- Angry Birds Star Wars II (2013) Additional Star Wars-themed levels. iOS, Android, PC, and Windows Phone.
- Angry Birds Go! (2013) A racing game. iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry devices, and Smart TV.
- Angry Birds Epic (2014) A turn-based role-playing game with combat and equipment. iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and Blackberry devices.
- Angry Birds Stella (2014) Similar to the first game but with different physics. iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and Blackberry devices.
- Angry Birds Transformers (2014) A tie-in to the Transformers franchise. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds POP! (2014) A tile-matching game. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds Fight! (2015) A multiplayer connect three game. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds 2 (2015) The sequel to the original game, featuring revamped graphics and physics, new birds, and more narrative elements. iOS, Android, and PC.
- Angry Birds Action! (2016) A pinball tie-in to The Angry Birds Movie. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds Blast (2016) A match three game. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds Evolution 2022 (previously called Angry Birds Evolution and Angry Birds Evolution 2020) (2017) A turn-based fighting game with role-playing elements. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds Match 3 (2017) A match three game. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds Champions (2018) A competitive multiplayer version of the first game where you compete for a high score on classic levels. iOS and Web Browser.
- Angry Birds for Messenger (2018) Facebook Messenger.
- Angry Birds Dream Blast (2019) A tile-matching game. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds VR/AR: Isle of Pigs (2019) A tie-in to The Angry Birds Movie franchise. AR game for iOS and Android and VR game for PC and PlayStation 4.
- Angry Birds POP Blast (2019) A sequel, with similar gameplay, to Angry Birds POP!. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds Explore (2019) A movie tie-in. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds Movie 2 VR: Under Pressure (2019) A movie tie-in. PlayStation 4.
- Angry Birds Journey (2021) Similar to Angry Birds 2 but with tweaked gameplay and mechanics. iOS and Android.
- Angry Birds: Bird Island (2021) A role-playing simulation game set in an open-world. Roblox game.
- Angry Birds Reloaded (2021) iOS Apple Arcade.
- Rovio Classics: AB (a re-release of the first game) (2022) iOS and Android.
Release Date: 11/12/2009, updated in 2021
Platforms: 3DS and 2DS, Amazon Fire, Android, Mac, PC, PS Vita, PS3, PS4, PSP, Web, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, iOS and iPhone, iPad
Content Rating: PEGI 3
Skill Rating: 4+ year-olds
Genres: Puzzle, Sequencing, Simulation and Strategy
Accessibility: 21 features
Angry Birds Reloaded is rated 4+ on the Apple App Store.
This game includes adverts on some platforms that are watched to unlock additional content. Note that these adverts are not covered by the age rating and may include older-rated content.
4+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Very young players need to be able to use the touch screen to work with the power and trajectory of the birds, although getting this wrong is low impact and usually still entertaining. Some of the levels can be quite challenging, and players should be able to cope with failing many times.
Angry Birds VR: Isle Of Pigs
Angry Birds VR: Isle of Pigs
- Advertising: Smartphone or Tablet version of this game lets players watch adverts to unlock additional content and progress in the game. Note that these are not covered by the age rating and may include older-rated content.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
While some games on mobile platforms have had in-game purchases (to remove adverts or buy currency), the ports to consoles and the latest game, Angry Birds Reloaded, have no in-game purchases.
This report is based on the latest release, Angry Birds reloaded. Other games may vary in the accessibility options they offer due to their being different genres or on different platforms.
While you can play most of the game with only a single finger, to zoom in and out you need to do a punching action. To pull back the slingshot, you need to hold down on the screen. You also need to be able to keep the slingshot steady as you line up your shot. You sometimes need to activate a bird's ability at just the right time, so some timing is involved, but in between shots you can take as long as you need.
Text is high contrast, but not always 1/20th of the height of the screen.
The structures are made out different materials, which can sometimes be hard to tell apart save by colour which is important to note for colour-blind players.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Angry Birds in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Angry Birds.