Taming Gaming December Newsletter
01/12/2021 Andy Robertson18 months ago Author:
I know it's not always easy being the parent of a child who loves video games. This newsletter is here to help. Each month it highlights some amazing games as well as ones to watch out for.
Got Concerns? Join Our Taming Gaming Video CallWorried about game violence, unsure about children playing games with strangers or looking for a great game for your family? Reserve your spot on the call to ask your questions.
Reserve your space on the Family Video Game Surgery video call, Monday 13th December 9am-10am or 4pm-5pm. Just reply to this email if you'd like to join us and we will email you details. You can also ask questions in our private Facebook group if you can't make the call.
Video Game WatchThis month saw children playing games inspired by the Squid Game TV Show, as well as the new shooting games. You can view the full list in the New and Trending page, but here are some important games for you to keep an eye on this month. Click the links for more information:
- Squid Game: Crab Game and Roblox Squid Game
- New Shooting games: Call of Duty Vanguard and Battlefield 2042
- Trending Horror games: Phasmophobia and Inscryption
Positive Gaming IdeasLots of really positive games out this month and some articles about finding great presents for children who love games (that aren't just more games). Here's the pick of the bunch. Click the links for more information:
- Game: Unpacking - Meditative puzzle game where you unpack belongings into room representing different stages of life.
- Game: Rainbow Billy - An adventure where the battles are won through listening and conversation rather than traditional attacks.
- Article: Gift Ideas For Gamers - These are great ways to expand your child’s hobby beyond the screen and discover new creative pastimes.
- Lists: Gaming 101 - Simple games for new players to learn different genres.
Video Game Parenting TipWe don't often know in detail what our children are playing. It can seem like an impossibility to get a good understanding of this hobby. In the book I offer a way to engage with your child's gaming by mapping it out with them.
A Digital Play Inventory can be completed with your child in half an hour. It not only gives you a good idea of what, why, how they play and who with. But it's a unique opportunity to share this part of your child's life.
Win Nintendo Switch and Taming Gaming BookWe have two ways to win things this month:
Firstly you can Vote for our Game of the Year to be in with a chance of winning a Nintendo Switch. To enter we just want you to sign up to the site and click the Heart on your favourite games. This not only registers your vote for our Game of the Year, but also ensures we know where to send the prize if you win. As a bonus, you can also share the competition via Twitter for an additional chance of winning.
Secondly, we are looking for parents, carers and guardians to confidentially give us feedback about what they find useful and what we could improve on the site and in these mailings. In return we can offer a free electronic copy of the Taming Gaming book for any family who answers the following questions in a reply to this email:
- Are video games a positive or negative influence on your family?
- What are the positives or negatives you experience?
- Which of these hot topics are most pressing for you: violence, addiction, gambling, strangers or something else?
- Do you play video games with your children, and do you play video games yourself?
- How old are your children and which games do they enjoy?