Posted: 14 months ago, last updated 9 weeks ago.
Author: Ben Kendall, @GeekDadGamer and Jo Robertson.
You start off with an empty track and a small supply of money. With this money, you need to prepare for the onslaught by placing different types of monkeys and devices, each with different ways to pop the balloons. Strategic placement and combination of firepower is key as you look for the perfect location to pop the most balloons. For each balloon you pop, you get more money, which can be used to place down new defences or upgrade existing ones using a three-line upgrade system.
As you progress, the balloons become more durable, some even becoming blimps that require several hits to take down. You unlock new levels in which to play, and also a challenge mode called C.H.I.M.P.S. where most upgrades are locked. You can also team up with other players for a more collaborative experience.
There have been 6 mainline Bloons TD games:
- Bloons Tower Defense (2007) Web browser (now only playable on PC only with the free Ninja Kiwi Archive).
- Bloons Tower Defense 2 (2007) Web browser (now only playable on PC with the free Ninja Kiwi Archive).
- Bloons TD 3 (2008) Web browser (now only playable on PC with the free Ninja Kiwi Archive), iOS, Playstation Portable and DS.
- Bloons TD 4 (2009) Web browser (now only playable on PC with the free Ninja Kiwi Archive), Android, iOS and DS.
- Bloons TD 5 (2011) Web browser (now only playable on PC with the free Ninja Kiwi Archive)., Android, iOS, Switch, Playstation 4 and Xbox One.
- Bloons TD 6 (2018) PC, Mac, Android and iOS.
There have also been 4 spin-off games:
- Bloons TD Battles (2012) Web browser (now only playable on PC with the free Ninja Kiwi Archive), Android, iOS and Amazon Fire.
- Bloons Monkey City (2014) PC, Mac, Android and iOS.
- Bloons Adventure Time TD (2018) PC, Mac, Android and iOS.
- Bloons TD Battles 2 (2021) PC, Mac, Android and iOS.
Release Date: 16/08/2007, updated in 2021
Platforms: Amazon Fire, Android, DS, Mac, PC, PS4, PSP, Switch, Xbox One and iOS
Content Rating: PEGI 3
Skill Rating: 8+ year-olds
Players: 1 (4 online)
Genres: Brain Game, Sequencing, Strategy (Action, Fighting, Shooting and Shooting)
Accessibility: 20 features
Components: 2D Overhead
Developer: Ninja Kiwi Games (@NinjaKiwiGames)
View our choice of games like Bloons TD 6. This game is good if you want to:
Cross-Platform: In Bloons TD 6, you can play across all different systems. The Switch and other platforms that run Bloons TD 5 or older do not support cross-platform.
You can play this game in the following styles:
8+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. The simple tactics and bright elements appeals to younger players. Children need to be able to think ahead and make decisions about where to best place armaments.
- You need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to Nintendo Online, but can then create accounts for children of any age to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4.
Bloons TD 6
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
You need a subscription to play online:
- You need to purchase a Nintendo Online subscription to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4.
- You need to purchase a Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online with Xbox One.
You can buy two in-game items in Bloons TD 6: Double Cash Mode (which doubles the money you get) and Knowledge Unlocked (which allows you to improve your defences).
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
The path of the bloons is very clearly laid out across the screen, and the path is large and of high contrast to the background. Being able to distinguish between the colours of bloons is essential to the game, as different coloured bloons have different properties, which is of especial importance for colourblind players.
Some of the text throughout the game doesn't contrast particularly well with the colour behind it.
During later stages of the levels, the screen can become very hectic and full of different moving objects and explosions, which could be disorienting for some players.
Diversity and Inclusion
Hand-Picked Games Like Bloons TD 6
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Bloons TD 6. We also have a long list of games similar to Bloons TD 6.
Hand-Picked Board Games Like Bloons TD 6
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Bloons TD 6..