Posted: 19 months ago, last updated 2 weeks ago.
It's quite simple to play with one button for light attacks and one for signature attacks (sigs in the community). The attackers are modified by the joystick direction. As you become proficient at the controls and a particular character you can use more buttons for attacking, performing special moves, picking up or throwing weapons, and dodging. What starts as a simple game soon reveals itself to be a highly skilled challenge that has its own esports leagues and meetings.
There is a wide range of (currently 49) characters available, although some of these you have to pay to access (see below). Each has four stats to define how they perform: Strength, Dexterity, Defence and Speed. Cross-over characters from other franchises are often added to the game as it has become more popular, including Shovel Knight, Rayman, Hellboy, WWE The Rock, Tomb RaiderLara Croft.
On iOS and Android you can compete with console and PC players. This enables you to fully customise your touch screen control schemes and use controllers, letting them achieve precise combos in real-time combat.
Players: You can play with 8 players in the same room and up to 8 players online. Competitive matches are 1-on-1. There is also a ranks team "duos" mode. PC players can create clans that any other players can join. This enables you to create groups of your friends, with multiple ranks within the clans. Clans gain experience from all members.
Then there are unranked modes:
- Free-For-All: A chaotic mode where 4 players knock each other out to gain points.
- 1v1 Strikeout: Players pick 3 characters which they play for 1 stock each.
- Experimental 1v1: Players to test out upcoming features against each other.
- Custom: Online and locally for up to 8 players.
Cross-Play: Allows players on Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One to queue against each other in online ranked play and to create custom lobbies which a player on any platform can join.
This game is free to play. Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. Some of these purchases (known as 'loot boxes') are for a chance of getting rare/higher-value items although common/lower-value items are more frequent.
You don’t need a platform subscription to play this game online. The purchased items are cosmetic only: character skins, weapon skins, and taunts. The purchases can be made with real money to open "chests". There are lots of types but all cost the same. Each chest has 3 exclusive skins and 16 skins that are not exclusive to that chest. All possible drops can be viewed before purchase.
Each week, there is a selection of 8 free characters to use. New characters are regularly added to the roster of (currently) 49 characters. To access these permanently you need to buy them with the in-game currency earned through matches, daily missions, and level-ups. You can also purchase all existing and future characters via a one-time transaction, in a Season Pass style offer.
Account RatingYou don’t need a platform subscription to play this game online.
- Difficulty: It is a difficult game but you can train against computer opponents of different ability.
- Reading: There is a lot of reading in the character selection and shop screens. The text is small and a bit faint on dark backgrounds.
- Controls: You can remap gamepad and keyboard controls. Including options for pressing up to jump and auto pick up items.
- Image calibration: You can select camera and player indicators to make the screen easier to read. Selecting "Only You" for the Player Names makes it easy to find yourself. Visual cues are provided to match the audio.
- Audio calibration: Can adjust music and effects audio separately. Audio cues along with visual feedback.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Brawlhalla or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Brawlhalla.