Posted: 4 weeks ago, last updated 2 weeks ago.
In each game, the core objective is always the same; build a bridge, using limited resources, that spans a gap in the geography that is stable enough for a large vehicle to safely cross. You use a variety of parts, including support columns and beams, you need to ensure the bridge can take the weight of the vehicles.
Later games add new game mechanics and change the setting. For example, Bridge Constructor Medieval sees you using bricks and wooden planks to construct the bridges, and also adds the challenge of having to build roofs to defend the horses and carriages moving across from enemy catapult fire. Bridge Constructor Portal is a crossover with the Portal series, and has you using sets of portals to move your vehicles across huge distances at high velocity. Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead, a collaboration with The Walking Dead has you being chased by hordes of zombies, and makes you come up with unique and inventive bridge-based traps to defeat your pursuers.
There have been several games in the series, each with the same core game mechanics and educational element, but each also adds a unique twist to the formula, be it in setting, gameplay or both:
- Bridge Constructor (2011) Android, iOS, PC, Mac and Playstation Vita.
- Bridge Constructor Playground (2012) Android, iOS, PC, Mac and Wii U.
- Bridge Constructor Medieval (2014) Android, iOS, PC and Mac.
- Bridge Constructor Stunts (2015) Android, iOS, PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4 and Xbox One.
- Bridge Constructor Portal (2017) Android, iOS, PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4 and Xbox One.
- Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead (2020) Android, iOS, PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
Content Rating: PEGI 3
Skill Rating: 10+ year-olds
Release Date: 01/12/2011, updated in 2020
Platforms: Android, Mac, PC, PS Vita, PS4, PS5, Switch, Wii U, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and iOS
Genres: Point-and-Click, Puzzle and Simulation
Accessibility: 23 features
You can play this game in the following styles:
10+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. It can often be difficult to make the bridges structurally sound, so a reasonable amount of skill and perseverance are needed.
- Bridge Constructor trains (Bridge Constructor (not available on att platforms)).
- Bridge Constructor Portal - Portal Proficiency (Bridge Constructor Portal).
This report is based on the latest game in the series, Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead. Previous games may have different accessibility options/requirements. An important example of this is that distinguishing between different colours is not necessary in this game, but in Bridge Constructor Portal you need to be able to differentiate between the different coloured portals.
The text throughout the game is all large and in high contrast, and the subtitles are accompanied by an image and the name of the speaker. Because it's played in a 2D plane, navigation through the levels is always straightforward.
Reaction time is not critical and there is no time pressure, with the challenge instead coming from the physics-based construction.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Bridge Constructor in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Bridge Constructor.