Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 3 months ago.
This new game is from the developers behind Skylanders and has a time-travelling twist as Crash journeys from 1998 to different eras when he finds Lani-Loli mask. Your task is to recover the four Quantum Masks that give you the ability to bend the rules of reality and gain new powers. Each of these masks works like a special upgrade to help you progress through specific elements of the game. For example, the Gravity Mask enables you to platform upside down.
On the PlayStation 5 it offers higher resolution and smoother graphics, enhanced 3D Audio, faster loading times and reactive triggers on PlayStation 5 dual sense controller. Although it's a one player game it has settings for up to 4 player pass-and-play. You select how many players and when you will pass the controller on and it does the rest.
The main games in the series are largely platformers:
- Crash Bandicoot (1996) on PlayStation.
- Cortex Strikes Back (1997) on PlayStation.
- Warped (1998) on PlayStation.
- Crash Bash (2000) on PlayStation.
- Wrath of Cortex (2001) on PlayStation 2, Xbox and GameCube.
- Twinsanity (2004) on PlayStation 2 and Xbox.
- Crash of the Titans (2007) on PlayStation 2, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance.
- Mind over Mutant (2008) on PlayStation 2, Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS.
- N. Sane Trilogy (2007) on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PC.
- Crash Bandicoot Mobile (2020)
- Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (2020) on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC.
Portable game systems had smaller versions of the game:
- The Huge Adventure (2002) on GameBoy Advance.
- N-Tranced (2003) on GameBoy Advance.
- Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage (2004) on Game Boy Advance.
- Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy (2004) on Game Boy Advance.
- Crash Boom Bang! (2006) on Nintendo DS.
Crash Bandicoot racing games are similar to Mario Kart:
- Crash Team Racing (1999) on PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube and Game Boy Advance.
- Crash Nitro Kart (2003)
- Crash Tag Team Racing (2005) on PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox and PlayStation Portable.
- Nitro Kart 3D (2008) on iOS
- Nitro Kart 2 (2010) on iOS
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (2019) on Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
The games were originally created by Naughty Dog who more recently made the Uncharted and The Last of Us games. You can play the original PlayStation Crash Bandicoot game in Uncharted 4.
Content Rating: PEGI 12
Skill Rating: 12+ year-olds
Release Date: 09/11/1996, updated in 2020
Platforms: DS, GBA, GameCube, PC, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, Switch, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and iOS
Genres: Action, Adventure and Platform
Accessibility: 19 features
Rated for younger players in the US. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time is rated ESRB EVERYONE 10+ for Alcohol Reference, Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief, Language.
12+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Although it looks really simple and fun for young players, this is a hard game and to really enjoy it you need to be a bit older.
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
Crash Bandicoot Bundle: N. Sane Trilogy + Ctr Nitro-Fueled
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. For example, in Crash Team Racing you can purchase more courses and vehicles.
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About has a couple of difficulty modes. Modern mode gives you infinite lives and when you die you restart from the checkpoint. Retro has limited lives and when you run out you start from the beginning.
To help with the platform visibility and orientation of your character, you can add a coloured ring to surround your shadow to make it much easier to differentiate from the background environment.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Crash Bandicoot It's About Time in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Crash Bandicoot It's About Time, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 12 or ESRB EVERYONE 10+ games.