Posted: 19 months ago, last updated 6 days ago.
For those wanting a more fantastically and exuberant experience, there is a spin of Dirt series that offers a more extreme race challenge that includes local split-screen play.
The rally series dates back to 1998:
- Colin McRae Rally (1998) on PlayStation, PC and Gameboy
- Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (2000) on PlayStation, PC and Gameboy Advance
- Colin McRae Rally 3 (2002) on Xbox, PlayStation 2 and PC
- Colin McRae Rally 04 (2003) on Xbox, PlayStation 2 and PC
- Colin McRae Rally 2005 (2004) on Xbox, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Mac and PC
- Colin McRae Rally (2013) mobile version on iOS then ported to Android, PC and Mac
- Dirt Rally (2015) on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Mac
- Dirt Rally 2.0 (2019) on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Players: You can play this with 8 players online. Dirt Rally doesn't have split-screen, but does have a novel co-op mode on PlayStation 4 where one player drives via the TV, and the other wears the VR headset and gives directions. Dirt Rally series offers online leaderboards and head to head online challenges. You can race against up to 8 competitors in the latest version of the game.
Dirt Rally 2.0
Dirt Rally 2.0: Game Of The Year Edition
Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. This includes a regular subscription fee (known as a 'battle/season pass') to unlock access to reward items and other aspects of the game.
You need Xbox Live Gold to play online with Xbox 360.
You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
You need to purchase a Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online with Xbox One. In Dirt Rally 2.0 you can purchase locations and cars. There is a Colin McRae: Flat Out pack that adds scenarios from his career as well as a new location and 2 cars. There are four season passes that include all the content released in that period. There's a Game of the Year edition that includes all four seasons passes.
Account RatingYou need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One.
You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Dirt Rally or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Dirt Rally.