Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 2 weeks ago.
There are quests to advance the main story and meet the wide range of playable characters. Each has two combat skills and specialises in one of the seven natural elements in the game: Cryo, Dendro, Pyro, Hydro, Anemo, Electro and Geo. Each of these interacts differently with each other and can be used to your advantage once understood.
For example, if you have four characters in your party who are all strong with the Electro element, their abilities stack and increase. Alternatively you could create a party of complementary elements. For example using Hydro to drench enemies and multiply Electro attacks. You can also cook once you have the required resources. Some dishes offer health, attack or defensive boosts.
It's an expansive game and looks beautiful. There are mountains to climb and stamina to manage. You can take to the air across the open world, swim through rivers and seas, and climb huge mountains. Whether you stick to the road or stray off the beaten path, there's all manner of hidden secrets and stories to discover.
You need to make friends in the game and take on enemies. It may be similar to Zelda but it extends this experience onto non-Nintendo platforms as well as adding multiplayer modes.
Although Genshin Impact is similar to Zelda Breath of the Wild it isn't available on Nintendo Switch or Xbox One, there are no plans for those platforms currently.
On PlayStation you play in your home region. On PC and Mobile you select a region. Ensure you select a region that friends are using otherwise you can't play with them.
Cross-Platform: You can play online with PlayStation, iOS, PC.
You can play this game in the following styles:
Rated for younger players in Australia. Rated Parental Guidance (PG) for Mild Violence, Sexualised Imagery.
10+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content. You need to be able to battle enemies and deal with other online players. But also, some skill is needed to parse the different currencies and ways to progress.
Account RatingYou need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4.
You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4.
There are a series of interrelated currencies in the game that offer a variety of benefits, but largely work towards gaining Wishes to unlock characters and weapons in a Loot Box style:
- Genesis Crystals currency - can only be purchased with real money and are used to buy Primogems in the game.
- Primogems currency - can be earned from quests or purchased with Genesis Crystals, they are used to purchase Acquaint and Intertwined Fates or to level up a Battle pass.
- Acquaint and Intertwined Fates currency - can be used to get Wishes to unlock characters.
- Stardust currency - is sometimes earned from 4-Star Wishes and can be swapped for Acquaint or Intertwined Fates.
- Starglitter - is earned from 5-Star Wishes and be used to purchase Acquaint and Intertwined Fates, weapons and characters.
- Mora currency - is the basic way you pay for levelling up characters, weapons, food and items in the game. There is also Anemo Sigil and Geo Sigil which are similar currencies specific to certain regions.
In addition to purchasing Genesis Crystals you can also buy:
- Adventurer's Bundle offers wish material, currency, character, weapon and adventurer's experience, food items and ingredients
- Blessing of the Welkin Moon offers 300 Genesis Crystals, an extra 90 Primogems every day for 30 days.
Although you can spend money in this way to speed up access to characters and enhance your experience, you can do everything in the game without additional spend. There aren't big roadblocks that force you into spending money.
Although there isn't a difficulty setting the world you play in scales to match the ability of your character. There isn't a huge amount of reading but the user interface text is quite small and although subtitles are provided you can't scale these.
You are guided in the game with a map where you can set waypoints. The game pops up reminders of the controls on the screen.
On the mobile versions there is a Gyro Aiming option to be able to use your device's motion detection to aim.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Genshin Impact in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Genshin Impact, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 12 or ESRB TEEN games.