This game is rated PEGI 16
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Assault and Stabbed.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 6 months ago.
Weapons must be used to deplete opponents’ energy shields before being able to damage them, so multiplayer combat encounters are a game of cat and mouse. Add to this the melee of attacks, varied terrain and advanced artificial intelligence of the enemies, and you can see why it takes a long time to master.
The game’s futuristic setting, dramatic music, fantastical weapons and diverse enemies makes Halo 5: Guardians competitive, exuberant and fun, without taking itself too seriously. Whether in its single-player campaign or online multiplayer modes, players revel in the lore, story and heroic characters as much as the necessary quick reactions and headshots.
The original trilogy:
- Halo Combat Evolved is on original Xbox
- Halo 2 is on original Xbox
- Halo 3 is on Xbox 360
- Halo 3: ODST is set after Halo 2 and on Xbox 360
- Halo: Reach is a prequel to the original trilogy on Xbox 360
A new Reclaimer Saga trilogy:
- Halo 4 is on Xbox 360
- Halo 5: Guardians in on Xbox One
- Halo Infinite is on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S and PC
- Halo Wars is a strategy game on Xbox 360
- Halo Wars 2 is a strategy game on Xbox One
- Halo: Spartan Assault and Halo: Spartan Strike are a mobile shooting game on iOS, Android
Rereleased and updated games:
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is updated for Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection is remastered Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo 4, Halo: Reach on Xbox One and PC.
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary with 2 players, split-screen or online
- Halo 2: Anniversary with 2 players, split-screen or online
- Halo 3 with 4 players online or 2 players split-screen
- Halo 3: ODST with 4 players online or 2 players split-screen
- Halo: Reach with 4 players online or 2 player split-screen
- Halo 4 with 4 players online or 2 players split-screen
- Halo 5: Guardians with 4 players online, no split-screen mode.
Cross-Platform: You can play Halo Wars with people on either Xbox One or PC.
You can play this game in the following styles:
Rated for younger players in the US. As reflected in its age ratings and descriptors, Halo 5: Guardians marks the first time the series was given a ESRB TEEN rating in the US rather than its usual MATURE 17+ classification. This not only makes it an alternative over other, more violent, first-person shooters, but also takes its gameplay in a more layered, strategic direction.
10+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content. The campaign can be a good place for novice players to start. The online battles require considerably more skill and experience so are better for older teenagers.
Account RatingYou need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One.
Halo 3: Odst
Halo 3: Odst Campaign Edition
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo Wars 2 Demo
Halo Wars 2: Complete Edition
Halo Wars 2: Standard Edition
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Halo: Spartan Assault
Halo: Spartan Strike
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
You need Xbox Live Gold to play online with Xbox 360.
You need to purchase a Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online with Xbox One.
In the online part of Halo 5: Guardians, you can purchase REQ packs to unlock cosmetic items.
The following in-game purchases are available:
Halo Wars 2: Icons Of War
Halo Wars 2: Serina & Spearbreaker Bundle
Halo Master Chief Collection has the following accessibility options.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Halo in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Halo, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16 or ESRB TEEN games.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Halo., or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16 or ESRB TEEN games.