This game is rated PEGI 18
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Decapitation, Insanity, Sex and Sexual Content.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 21 months ago, last updated today.
The game is a combination of exploring locations, talking to characters for information and action based shooting missions. Over the course of the game, your choices determine the story and how you shape your version of Commander Shepard and his or her team. This impacts not only the current game put also options in future games of the trilogy as well.
- Mass Effect (2007) on PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Mass Effect 2 (2010) on PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Mass Effect 3 (2012) on PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition (2021) HD version of main series on PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4
In addition to the newer game, Mass Effect: Andromeda (2017), you can play the series on the latest hardware as follows:
- PlayStation: The original trilogy cannot be played on PlayStation 4 (it's not backwards compatible and not available on PlayStation Now). Mass Effect 2 on PlayStation 3 enables you to catch-up with plot and decisions via the Genesis content, if you didn't play the first game.
- Xbox: You can play the trilogy on Xbox One's backwards compatibility either by purchasing the 360 games individually or subscribing to EA Access (for the trilogy) or Game Pass (for the first game).
- PC: You can play the trilogy by purchasing them or via Origin subscription.
- Wii U: Mass Effect 3: Special Edition on Wii U includes additional content and catch-up decision making to provide context for those who didn't play the first game.
There are also spin-off games on mobile that offer a different experience in the same universe:
- Mass Effect Galaxy (2009) on iOS
- Mass Effect Infiltrator (2012) on iOS, Android
- Mass Effect Datapad (2012) on iOS
- Mass Effect: Andromeda APEX HQ (2017) on iOS, Android
Along with the games themselves are a series of fiction books and guides that expand the storylines and flesh out the wider teachers of the galaxy.
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Mass Effect Trilogy
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Mass Effect: Andromeda: Deluxe Recruit Edition
Mass Effect: Andromeda: Standard Recruit Edition
Mass Effect Andromeda
Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. The games offer in-game purchases but the bundles and subscriptions of the original trilogy usually include the key elements for free.
There are five difficulty levels to pick from in each game in the Legendary Edition: Casual, Normal, Veteran, Hardcore and Insanity for Mass Effect 1&2, while Mass Effect 3 has Narrative, Casual, Normal, Hardcore and Insanity. Each difficulty ramps up the difficulty of the combat sections, with enemies getting more health, more defence and stronger attacks. While most trophies can be obtained on any difficulty, there is one which requires you to be in the hardest difficulty.
When you start, you are prompted as to whether you want subtitles, what difficulty you want to play on and whether you want autosave. To adjust the size of the subtitles, which are high contrast, and further customise your experience, you need to wait and select the options in the menu.
While all of the in-game dialogue is voice-acted, there is an opening paragraph of context for the story in large and clear white text on a black background that is not. Thanks to the subtitles, the game is more accessible to deaf and hard of hearing players.
The crosshair can blend in to the background, which can occasionally make it hard to see, and can be especially difficult for colourblind people. Additionally, there are some sections in the Hacking mini-games where to need to observe colour-based patterns.
Our Mass Effect Accessibility Report documents 23 accessibility features:
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Mass Effect or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Mass Effect, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 18 or ESRB MATURE 17+ games.