Posted: 22 months ago, last updated 3 weeks ago.
Flight Simulator populates the world with animals and roads with vehicles, water flows realistically based on wind direction, grass has individual grass blades and trees have individual leaves, creating the illusion of a living world. This includes over 2 million cities and towns. It adds trillions of trees, real-world airports and various animal species including birds, elephants, giraffes and bears.
Although the central tenant of the game, to recreate the complex expansive world of flight and its related protocols, it's also an amazing way to explore the world. You can use the game to learn about different areas of the planet and even scout, "chase" and interact with real-world storms as they occur in real time.
A tutorial takes you through the basics of flight instruments, takeoff and landing. These are complemented by more leisurely and low-pressure "sight-seeing bush trips, which include overflights of Nevada, Patagonia, and the Balkans."
For those wanting a more realistic experience there are features where players can talk with the air traffic controller, switch camera views, modify checklists, adjust AI systems, adjust fuel tanks, view the navigation log, see objectives, view the VFR map, and adjust the weather; buttons in the bar can be changed.
Out now on PC and coming to Xbox Series X|S in Summer 2021.
You can play this game in the following styles:
This has been enjoyed by families in the following styles:
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Deluxe Game Of The Year Edition
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Premium Deluxe Game Of The Year Edition
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Standard Game Of The Year Edition
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Deluxe
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Premium Deluxe
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Standard Edition - Includes 20 highly detailed planes with unique flight models and 30 hand-crafted airports.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Deluxe Edition - 25 highly accurate planes with unique flight models and 35 hand-crafted international airports.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Premium Edition - 30 highly accurate planes with unique flight models and 40 hand-crafted international airports.
Although this simulation is complex and challenging, it has several helper features.
- Assistance enables waypoint arrows at the taxiways, guiding players on where to go.
- Route & Waypoints enables markers to guide players in the sky.
- Landing Path guides players on landing.
- Travel To time-lapses the flight, condensing long-haul flights.
- Active Pause pauses the flight, allowing players to explore the surrounding area.
- Autorudder keeps the plane in the centre line of taxiways and runways when the player is unable to control it.
You can use a reduced set of buttons but opting to start the flight in the air so you don't have to deal with taking off procedure which requires multiple buttons. This enables you to fly and using just the left stick to fly. Although you can't control throttle, this mode is playable although you can't ascend very high. You could also opt to let the computer fly the plane then use the right stick to look around.
Flight Simulator also allows players to search for faunas in the game, either by searching "fauna" on the World Map, or selecting "Fauna Markers" when in mid-air. In addition, there is a feature of entering a geographic coordinate to find a location.
Helpful information on how to play the game is available from the SpecialEffect video.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Microsoft Flight Simulator in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Microsoft Flight Simulator.