Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 4 months ago.
There are additional assistance options in this game. The Super Guide detects if you are stuck and offers to control your character to avoid anyone getting stuck.
There was an alternate version of the game called New Super Luigi U with additional features. There is also Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe for Switch that contains both New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. It runs at higher resolution and includes a new playable character, Toadette. It also lets you edit your own levels.
Other Super Mario Bros platform games:
- Super Mario Bros. (1985) on NES and rereleased on GameBoy Colour in 1999.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2001
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2003
- Super Mario Land (1989) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World (1990) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario 64 (1996) on N64 and rereleased on DS in 2004
- Super Mario Sunshine (2002) on GameCube
- New Super Mario Bros (2012) on DS
- Super Mario Galaxy (2007) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) on Wii
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) on Wii
- Super Mario 3D Land (2011) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012) on 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. U (2013) on Wii U
- Super Mario 3D World (2014) on Wii U
- Super Mario Run (2016) on iOS and Android
- Super Mario Odyssey (2017) on Switch
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019) on Switch
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020) on Switch Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy
On the Switch version you use Joy-Con controllers (half each) but can't access the assistance player mode of the Wii U, so this version is 4 players.
You can play this game in the following styles:
5+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Although you do need some timed button pressing skill for jumps and running, because you can hop into a bubble if you are stuck this is a game that still works with really young players. Playing in a group lets you progress together, with more experienced players aiding younger players.
New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
You can purchase the New Super Luigi U additional content for the original game, or it is available separately. This provides:
- 82 new courses
- Play as Luigi
- Play as thieving Nabbit
New Super Luigi U is available as a stand alone game, it is also included in the Switch version New Super Mario U Deluxe.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
We haven't documented accessibility features for this game yet. Our New Super Mario Bros. U Accessibility Report details system-wide settings that may help, and suggests similar games with accessibility features. Tweet the developer (@Nintendo) to let them know about our Accessibility Questionnaire.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to New Super Mario Bros. U in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to New Super Mario Bros. U.