Posted: 17 months ago, last updated 6 months ago.
Author: @GeekDadGamer and Jo Robertson.
Play involves placing towers to stop the onslaught, each one has different abilities (rapid fire, long range, air-focused) that deal with enemies at different rates and are effective at different kinds of attackers. Destroyed enemies give you coins and gems which can upgrade and research new towers.
Unusually, for this kind of tower defence game, you also control a character who runs around the world while the enemies approach. This character is used to do the coin collecting and tower building, rather than doing this from above using a cursor.
- PixelJunk Monsters
- PixelJunk Monsters 2
- PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD (2013)
- PixelJunk Monsters: Deluxe (2010)
Release Date: 24/01/2008, updated in 2018
Platforms: Mac, PC, PS Vita, PS3, PS4, PSP, Switch and Wii U
Content Rating: PEGI 7
Skill Rating: 7+ year-olds
Players: 1-2 (4 online)
Genres: Simulation, Strategy (Fighting, Puzzle and Shooting)
Components: 2D Overhead
Developer: Pixel Junk News (@PixelJunkNews)
View our choice of games like PixelJunk Monsters. This game is good if you want to:
You can play this game in the following styles:
7+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. There is some skill needed in controlling your character to place items but with a little help, even very young players will enjoy this.
- You need PlayStation Plus to play online with PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Vita.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to Nintendo Online, but can then create accounts for children of any age to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4.
Pixeljunk Monsters 2
Pixeljunk Monsters 2 Deluxe Edition
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
You need a subscription to play online:
- You need to purchase a Nintendo Online subscription to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4.
PixelJunk Monsters Encore expansion pack adds 15 more themed levels, including some inspired by Pac-Man and Space Invaders.
PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe on PlayStation Portable, contains all of the level content from the original game and its Encore expansion pack, as well as new levels, enemies, and towers.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
We haven't documented accessibility features for this game yet. Our PixelJunk Monsters Accessibility Report details system-wide settings that may help, and suggests similar games with accessibility features. Tweet the developer (@PixelJunkNews) to let them know about our Accessibility Questionnaire.
Diversity and Inclusion
Hand-Picked Games Like PixelJunk Monsters
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed PixelJunk Monsters. We also have a long list of games similar to PixelJunk Monsters.
Hand-Picked Board Games Like PixelJunk Monsters
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to PixelJunk Monsters..