This game is rated PEGI 18
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Decapitation, Dismemberment, Gore, Graphic Violence, Horror, Horrors, Kidnapped, Sex and Trauma.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 20 months ago, last updated 4 months ago.
After the series backed off pure action and shooting of Resident Evil 5 and 6, this game sees the return of inventory management like Resident Evil 4. To aid your survival you must manage inventory in a briefcase to ensure it's packed to preserve space.
You set out from the central village hub, taking on different locations and substantial enemies. Between these missions, you can purchase equipment and hunt animals to cook for food that offers character enhancements.
The result is a game that is varied, engaging and disturbing. It's a cornucopia of horrors that know they are there to entertain as well as cause fear. For adults who enjoy scares, blood and violence this is a great fit. Although there is a little repetition in some boss fights, the overall variety offsets this well.
Release Date: 22/03/1996, updated in 2021
Price: 50% off
Platforms: PC, PS3, PS4, PS5, Stadia, Wii, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S
Content Rating: PEGI 18
Players: 1 (6 online)
Accessibility: 19 features
You can play this game in the following styles:
In addition to the rating advice, parents and carers may want to note the online fan-response to the Lady Dimitrescu character in the game. This grand noblewoman with vampire-like abilities became popular online with fan-fiction, -art, memes, and erotica. According to Wikipedia, Journalists and commentators "attributed the rapid surge of fan interest in the character to various aspects of her appearance and sex appeal."
- You need PlayStation Plus to play online with PlayStation 3.
- You need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
Resident Evil Village
|SALE||PS5||£34.99||£17.49 until 15/02/2023||–|
|SALE||PS4||£34.99||£17.49 until 15/02/2023||–|
Resident Evil Village Deluxe Edition
Resident Evil Village Gold Edition
|Xbox Series X|S||£39.99||–||–|
|SALE||PS5||£44.99||£35.99 until 15/02/2023||–|
|SALE||PS4||£44.99||£35.99 until 15/02/2023||–|
Resident Evil: Village Gold Edition
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
- You need a subscription to play online:
Resident Evil Village comes in a variety of editions, each costing a different price and each with different features:
- Standard Edition, which includes only the game
- Deluxe edition, which comes with the Trauma Pack, which includes a new gun, some music, a visual filter and more. You can buy the trauma pack as an add-on to the Standard Edition.
- Collector's Edition, which includes the Deluxe Edition, a figurine, an art book, a poster, a steelbook and more.
- Resident Evil Village & Resident Evil 7 Complete Bundle (Digital purchase only), which includes both the games in the series where you play as Ethan Winters in their complete states.
You can purchase weapon packs and additional music tracks. For example, the Trauma Pack, which includes the Samurai Edge weapon, the Mr. Everywhere accessory and special safe room music.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
You can select difficulty, as well as individual assists for aiming.
Sound is an atmospheric aspect of the game, but this is not well communicated via other means in captions or vibration feedback. Sometimes you need to hear enemies so you can avoid them, however, this audio is not provided via visual indicators. You can control the sound effects and music independently.
You can access a map during play, once you have collected it. This displays the areas you have explored and points of interest like items and doors.
You can disable screen shake via the Camera Wobble setting. You can also slow down camera movement to aid motion sickness.
The game makes use of the PlayStation 5 adaptive triggers and this can be disabled. You can select between a toggle or hold for running.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Resident Evil Village in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Resident Evil Village, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 18 or ESRB MATURE 17+ games.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Resident Evil Village., or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 18 or ESRB MATURE 17+ games.