Posted: 8 weeks ago.
You are chosen to be the Hovlaven Roadwarden, a sheriff-type peacekeeper assigned to bring together the tribes and settlements on a remote peninsula of the continent in an attempt to encourage trade and commerce. You can play mage, warrior, and scholar, and create a unique backstory. How you craft you character affects how you can approach the different scenarios and how townsfolk react to your presence.
The gameplay is all text-based, with you reading what's happening, looking at the accompanying illustration for clues, and selecting responses or typing in prompts. You patrol the paths, maintain peace and defeat opportunistic thieves and vagabonds. Along with this general housekeeping you take on quests from the characters you meet to gain trust and establish connections.
As you progress you connect the isolated settlements and camps. Along the way you find secrets, complete escort missions or fight off enemies and monsters in combat. This enables you to earn money, which you can use to buy shelter and food, which is required to balance nutrition and health as you progress.
The result is an unusual combination of text adventure, role-playing, exploration and combat, and simulation that offers surprising depth and complexity that allows you to become fully immersed in the rich world created.
You can play this game in the following styles:
9+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content. As the game is text-based, players need string reading ability, but there is no need for quick reactions or precise inputs.
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
- In-Game Pass: Purchase a season/battle pass to gain access to limited in-game purchases, reward items and other aspects of the game.
- In-Game Subscription: Subscribe to get regular content or game currency and access to special items.
- Advertising: Smartphone or Tablet version of this game lets players watch adverts to unlock additional content and progress in the game. Note that these are not covered by the age rating and may include older-rated content.
- Trade Items Outside Game: Players can trade or bet items they have earned or purchased, on third-party sites outside the game. These sites usually require confirmation that the player is 18 or over as they offer gambling.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
You use the mouse to choose options to advance the story, and use the keyboard to type in specific places, people or details in some cases. There are no time limits to individual actions, and you only ever need to press one button at a time.
By changing the difficulty, you can change how long you have to complete your mission, with the default being 40 (in-game) days. On the lowest difficulty, there isn't a time limit.
Text is quite small at times, but is always high contrast. Your journal allows you to view active quests and remind you of characters, plot points, and important events. The illustrations all use a low-contrast brown colour palette. You can change the speed text appears at.
In the settings you can enable Deaf Support, which transcribes any important audio in greater-than-standard detail, ensuring you don't miss out on important sound-only clues. You can also choose to disable (enabled by default) the indicator of a character's attitude.
Diversity and Inclusion
Gender and Sexuality:
Gender Representation: The gender representation of the pre-defined characters you can play in the game.
- Play as Character without stated Gender:: The game’s protagonist’s gender is ambiguous and not stated.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Roadwarden in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Roadwarden, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 12 or ESRB EVERYONE 10+ games.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Roadwarden., or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 12 or ESRB EVERYONE 10+ games.