Posted: 19 months ago, last updated 5 months ago.
You control Maxwell as he traverses levels left-to-right. When you hit an obstacle, such as a wall, you type the names of items that will help you get past it. For example, you can type "ladder" to get over it, or type "bomb" to blow it up, or "spade" to tunnel underneath it.
As well as a story mode, there are puzzle levels that put you in real-life situations (such as having to open a piñata) and task you with solving it. There's also an open-world mode where you can experiment with the different objects. There is a level editor, where you can create and share your own challenges.
It's an unusual game that's a lot of fun, but also creates a context for logical thinking, vocabulary, inventiveness and the combination of items with different properties as you might do in a science lesson.
There have been a number of Scribblenauts games:
- Scribblenauts (2009) on DS,
- Super Scribblenauts (2011) on DS,
- Scribblenauts Remix (2011) on iOS and Android,
- Scribblenauts Unlimited (2012) on iOS, Android, PC, Wii U and 3DS and then updated for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch.
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (2013) on PC, Wii U and 3DS and then updated on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch.
- Scriblenauts Showdown (2018) multiplayer word based party game on PS4, Xbox One and Switch.
Scribblenauts Mega Pack
Scribblenauts Show Down
Does not offer in-game purchases, 'loot boxes' or 'battle/season passes'. Scribblenauts Mega Pack on Switch, PS4 and Xbox One provide two games in one:
- Scribblenauts Unlimited
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Scribblenauts or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Scribblenauts, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 12 or ESRB EVERYONE 10+ games.