Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 4 months ago.
Team Sonic Racing stands out with a focus on cooperative gameplay (a little like Mario Kart: Double Dash or the competitive character-based online games like Overwatch). You form part of a team of racers to win races through efficiency rather than speed. Game modes include competing to earn points, time trials, customizing the racing rules, and a story-driven tutorial campaign.
Your team can draw on three types of racers: speed, technique, and power. You need to balance these abilities and pay attention to how teammates are performing. Sharing power-ups and ensuring all team mates finish well gets more points.
It’s from the same developer as previous Sonic kart racing games, that offered more tradition one-vs-everyone racing:
- Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (2010) on Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, Mac, iOS, Android.
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (2012) on Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Vita, 3DS, PC, iOS, Android.
- Team Sonic Racing (2019) on Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One.
Release Date: 23/02/2010
Price: 43% off
Platforms: 3DS and 2DS, Android, Mac, PC, PS3, PS4, Switch, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One and iPhone, iPad
Content Rating: PEGI 3
Skill Rating: 5+ year-olds
Players: 1-5 (12 online)
Accessibility: 1 feature
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed supports 4 players local multiplayer on consoles. The Wii U offers 5 player local play with one person using the Gamepad controller.
You can play this game in the following styles:
5+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. One family told us, "My son loved Sonic Racing even though he was only 3-years-old. My dad hooked up his old PS3 and played Sonic Sega All-Stars. My son saw his grandad play them and wanted to play himself. Obviously, he wasn't winning races, but it was all about just controlling the character."
- You need PlayStation Plus to play online with PlayStation 3.
- You need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to Nintendo Online, but can then create accounts for children of any age to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4.
|SALE||Xbox One||£29.99||£16.99 at the moment||–|
|SALE||Switch||£29.99||£23.71 at the moment||–|
|iPhone, iPad||Free||–||Free |
You need a subscription to play online:
- You need Xbox Live Gold to play online with Xbox 360.
- You need to purchase a Nintendo Online subscription to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4.
- You need to purchase a Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online with Xbox One.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
The game can be played using a single button for accelerate and a joystick to steer, with additional options such as brake, power ups, and items available to those who can access additional buttons.
If played on the Xbox or PC, the copilot feature can be enabled to allow a second player to control some of the additional functions that the first player may find difficult to access.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Sonic Racing in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Sonic Racing.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Sonic Racing..