Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 4 months ago.
In the game you collect rungs to accrue health, and loose these if you are hit. Your aim is usually to stop Eggman's schemes for world domination, by navigating levels that include springs, slopes, bottomless pits, and vertical loops.
In addition to the Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, these are the main releases in the series:
- Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) on Sega Genesis/Megadrive and later on Mobile, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992) on Sega Genesis/Megadrive
- Sonic Spinball (1993) on Sega Genesis/Megadrive
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles (1994) on Sega Genesis/Megadrive
- Sonic Adventure (1998) on Dreamcast
- Sonic Adventure 2 (2001)on GameCube
- Sonic Advance (2001) on Game Boy Advance
- Sonic Mega Collection (2003) on GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox
- Sonic Heroes (2003) on PlayStation 2 , Xbox, GameCube
- Shadow the Hedgehog (2005) on PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) on 870,000451
- Sonic Unleashed (2008) on PlayStation 2, Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
- Sonic Colors (2010) on Wii, Nintendo DS
- Sonic Generations (2011) on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows, Nintendo 3DS
- Sonic Lost World (2012) on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS
- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal (2014) on Wii U and 3DS
- Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania Plus (2018) on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC.
Release Date: 23/06/1991, updated in 2017
Platforms: 3DS and 2DS, Android, DS, GameCube, Mac, Megadrive, PC, PS Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4, Switch, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One and iOS
Content Rating: PEGI 3
Skill Rating: 7+ year-olds
Accessibility: 3 features
This has been enjoyed by families in the following styles:
7+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. We hear from parents that this is a good game for very young players. "I started my son off with Sonic Mania, he really enjoyed that and the simple controls helped no end."
Our Game Pathways reveal how 5-year-olds play this game:
- 5-year-old: Storytelling Sparks with Sonic
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I
Sonic The Hedgehog: Triple Trouble
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog Classic
On consoles, this series is be played with one stick for movement and one button. The one button performs different actions depending on which direction the stick is in when pressing the button. On mobile, the same applies, just instead with the touch screen. On mobile, the size of the on-screen joystick and button can be changed in the options.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Sonic the Hedgehog in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Sonic the Hedgehog.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Sonic the Hedgehog..