Posted: 2 years ago, last updated a year ago.
You work together to free the Sprixies from Bowser, who invaded Sprixie Kingdom. Or you can compete to earn the crown on each level. Either way, you are running, jumping, stomping and collecting your way around meticulously designed levels.
This interaction of the Mario formula adds new power-ups that include turning into a cat that can climb walls. Unlike other Mario games you have a larger choice of either using Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach or Toad. They all have unique abilities for example Princess Peach glides over gaps, while Luigi has his trademark extra-high jump.
The player using the Wii U GamePad Controller can touch the screen to search for hidden blocks and freeze enemies, this adds another aspect to the multiplayer fun and a good way for younger players (or perhaps novice parents and carers) to get involved. If any player is left too far behind they are rejoined to the action in a bubble.
On the Switch the game comes with Bowser's Fury. Much more than simple bonus material, this is a game in its own right. You play a world in the style of Super Mario Odyssey. Here though, it's much more of an open world with environmental hazards that change over time.
Every so often, Bowser emerges like Godzilla from the ocean and starts attacking you with fireballs. This not only adds a novel hazard, but grants access to special parts of the world only available during these night attacks.
It's an open world challenge that offers a different way to enjoy the running, jumping and exploring of Mario. It's not four players like the Super Mario 3D World game, but you can get a second player to help you by knocking enemies out of the way.
Other Super Mario Bros platform games:
- Super Mario Bros. (1985) on NES and rereleased on GameBoy Colour in 1999.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2001
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2003
- Super Mario Land (1989) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World (1990) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario 64 (1996) on N64 and rereleased on DS in 2004
- Super Mario Sunshine (2002) on GameCube
- New Super Mario Bros (2012) on DS
- Super Mario Galaxy (2007) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) on Wii
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) on Wii
- Super Mario 3D Land (2011) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012) on 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. U (2013) on Wii U
- Super Mario 3D World (2014) on Wii U
- Super Mario Run (2016) on iOS and Android
- Super Mario Odyssey (2017) on Switch
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019) on Switch
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020) on Switch Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy
On the Switch version of the game you can play on the same system, local co-operative mode and online co=operative mode with four players. To play local or online on different systems you each need your own copy of the game.
In the Bowsers Fury game, a second player can help as Bowser Jr. They drive a clown car and use a paintbrush to thwack enemies away. It works well with a novice play as the helper -- whether that's a child helping parent or the other way around.
You can play this game in the following styles:
In the US, ESRB state: Players can hop on enemies' heads or use various power-ups (e.g., boomerang, fire flower, invincibility stars) to defeat them. Enemies generally crumble into pieces when jumped on, get momentarily stunned, or disappear amid puffs of smoke and scattered coins.
5+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Super young players can join in with the Wii U GamePad to touch the screen to find hidden blocks and freeze enemies. Those a little older can join in the action and get warped forward to the others if they die or get left behind. We heard from one family that their "5-year-old loves co-op mode on Super Mario 3D World and can hop into a bubble on any difficulty bits for me to solo".
Account RatingYou don’t need a platform subscription to play this game online.
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
To unlock new characters ammibo figures can be placed on the Switch version of the game. They are sold separately.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
We haven't documented accessibility features for this game yet. Our Super Mario 3D World Accessibility Report details system-wide settings that may help, and suggests similar games with accessibility features. Tweet the developer (@Nintendo) to let them know about our Accessibility Questionnaire.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Super Mario 3D World in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Super Mario 3D World.