Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 2 weeks ago.
Super Mario Odyssey expands on these basics with intricately explorable themed worlds rich in secrets, new enemies and a brand new companion, Cappy. This not only adds new ways to attack enemies but also to poses them and use their powers. It expands the ways to progress and beat each level in ways not seen before.
These novelties are often seen in platform games but rarely are they as well balanced and integrated as Cappy in Super Mario Odyssey. The hat is versatile and can be jumped on while it hangs in the air. Players learn to use its properties to reach distant platforms and make seemingly impossible jumps. Like the best platform games, this moves success from quick reactions to learned mechanical prowess with the physics of the world and Mario's abilities.
After the more linear Super Mario games like New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario 3D World, this game returns to the more open-ended, exploration-based gameplay featured in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.
- Super Mario Bros. (1985) on NES and rereleased on GameBoy Colour in 1999.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2001
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2003
- Super Mario Land (1989) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World (1990) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario 64 (1996) on N64 and rereleased on DS in 2004
- Super Mario Sunshine (2002) on GameCube
- New Super Mario Bros (2012) on DS
- Super Mario Galaxy (2007) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) on Wii
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) on Wii
- Super Mario 3D Land (2011) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012) on 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. U (2013) on Wii U
- Super Mario 3D World (2014) on Wii U
- Super Mario Run (2016) on iOS and Android
- Super Mario Odyssey (2017) on Switch
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019) on Switch
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020) on Switch Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy
There's also a spin off game creation game that enables you to make you own Super Mario levels:
You can play this game in the following styles:
7+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. One family told us, "Super Mario Odyssey with assists mode on worked well for my daughter when had just turned 5." The older player can control Mario while the younger player can help by controlling his cap to stun enemies and collect coins. Another parent said that they, "played through the game first so it was opened up so he could basically do what he wanted while he mastered the controls".
Super Mario Odyssey
The difficulty starts low and rises, but the Assist mode (that can be selected at any time during play) helps direct you and grants extra health. This Assist mode means that you get double the health and if you die you continue from where you died, making the game unfailable.
You can use motion pointing as second player to stun enemies. You can also use motion aiming when in tanks and other vehicles.
The Super Mario Odyssey amiibo figures offer Wedding Outfits that reveals the location of regional coins (Bowser) and grants temporary invincibility (Mario). These aid difficulty but are items you need to purchase.
There is minimal reading, although text size can't be adjusted. In the shop, the text is small including prices and how many coins you have. Motion controls are integral but not essential and you can't remap any buttons or sticks. Assist mode superimposes blue arrows on the ground to show players where they need to go next. You can unlock outfits that offer higher contrast. Controller rumble tells you when you are walking on a secret and directs you to it. Auditory cues exist for some other events, but this isn't comprehensive.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Super Mario Odyssey in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Super Mario Odyssey.