This game is rated PEGI 3
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 6 months ago, last updated 7 weeks ago.
Play involves tilting the world to control the speed and trajectory of the ball. The goal of the main game is to reach the goal gate before the timer runs out, and without falling off the floor. You can collect extra points via the bananas on the stage.
In addition to the main reach-the-goal mode, there are a number of party games.
- Monkey Race: Up to four players race around six courses divided into three difficulty levels a little like Mario Kart.
- Monkey Fight: Up to four players simultaneously engage in combat by rolling in any direction with the analogue stick and using the A button to punch opponents.
- Monkey Target: Up to four players take turns rolling their monkey down a ramp, launching it into the sky to land closest to the target.
- Monkey Billiards: Up to two players take turns competing in a game of nine-ball pool.
- Monkey Bowling: Up to four players take turns competing in a game of ten-pin bowling.
- Monkey Golf: Up to four players take turns competing across 18 holes in a game of golf with stroke play scoring, or two players compete using match play scoring.
The game has been released in a large number of iterations on most consoles and gaming platforms. Where these offer tilt controllers, like the Wii, Switch or smartphone, this is used to control the rolling of the ball. Most recently Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania will bring an updated collection of the main games to PlayStation, Xbox and Switch.
Early games use traditional controllers to play while many recent titles utilize modern technology, such as the accelerometers of the Wii and iPhone titles. The gameplay is similar to Atari Games' 1984 arcade video game Marble Madness.
Content Rating: PEGI 3
Skill Rating: 8+ year-olds
Release Date: 23/06/2001, updated in 2021
Price: 25% off
Platforms: 3DS and 2DS, Android, DS, PS Vita, PS4, PS5, Switch, Wii, Xbox, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and iOS
Genres: Physically Active, Platform and Puzzle
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania
Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania Digital Deluxe Edition
Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD
Does not offer in-game purchases, 'loot boxes' or 'battle/season passes'.
Skill Rating8+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Although it seems like a game for really young players, the level of control required (and the frustration when you fall) makes it more suitable for older children. Some parents tell us that really young children can enjoy this with some help from an adult, and focusing on some of the simple knocking-things-down minigames.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Super Monkey Ball or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Super Monkey Ball.