Posted: 5 months ago, last updated 4 months ago.
You play as a team of ten people who need to escape from the crumbling Island of Atlantis before a volcano explodes. Each turn you can move your figures three spaces across the Island tiles towards boats and then across the sea to safety. However, every turn you must also choose an Island tile to remove, making it smaller and triggering actions that move monsters, destroy things, and throw other players into the sea where whales, sharks and sea monsters await.
All the time you are trying to time your dash through the dangerous waters to avoid the worst hazards. It's a cutthroat game where you're not only mean to enemy figures, but also favour your own higher value characters (indicated under their base). This adds another dimension because if you are too obvious which are your most valued figures they can target them. The winner is the player with the highest total value of survivors when the island is finally destroyed.
The result is a highly competitive game, where getting your opponent eaten is just as important as moving your figures to safety. It is as much a battle, as it is a race to survive. So, you can expect things to get heated even before the volcano explodes.
Before you play the first time it's worth:
- Seeing what the different effect of removing a tile can be.
- Experiment with how you can target other players figures.
- Outline the importance of keeping your figure value secret.
- Highlight how players can bluff by not always preferring their most valuable figures.
Play Time: This game will take between 45 minutes and 1 hour to complete.
8+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Younger players need to be resilient enough to cope with losing their figures from the game and being targeted by opponents actions. They need to be able to remain calm and treat attacks as part of the game and not allow it to become personal.
Content RatingWe rate this suitable for 3+ years-olds. Players' figures do get eaten by sharks and sea monsters, but this is not depicted graphically.
This game has a variety of versions and expansions which include:
- Survive! (1982) the original version publish by Parker Brothers.
- Escape from Atlantis (1986) a 3D version published by Waddingtons
- Escape from Atlantis (1996) published by Hasbro with revised rules.
- Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (2010) published by Stronghold Games
- Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (2010) – The Giant Squid Mini Expansion.
- Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (2011) – a 5-6 Player Mini Expansion.
- Survive: Escape from Atlantis! – Dolphins & Dive Dice Mini Expansion (2013)
- Survive: Escape From Atlantis! - 30th Anniversary Edition (2012) published by Stronghold Games with refreshed artwork and a revised theme.
- Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (2013) – Dolphins & Dive Dice Mini Expansion
- Survive: Dolphins & Squids & 5-6 Players...Oh My! (2015)
We haven't documented accessibility features for this game yet. Our Survive: Escape from Atlantis! Accessibility Report details system-wide settings that may help, and suggests similar games with accessibility features. Tweet the developer (@StrongholdGames) to let them know about our Accessibility Questionnaire.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. These are good alternative games to Survive: Escape from Atlantis!.
Our experts have hand-picked the following video games that offer a similar experience or theme to Survive: Escape from Atlantis!.