This game is rated PEGI 7
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Addiction, Alcoholism, Death and Suicide.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 11 months ago, last updated 11 weeks ago.
At the start of the game you choose a sponsoring nation, each with different benefits and drawbacks. After landing your drones and rovers on Mars you set up power, water supply, generators and domes ready for the human colonists to arrive. To progress you must balance the expanding colony with oxygen, food, water, and replacement parts.
Various events introduce plagues, wars, rival corporations, AI revolt and alien contact. Valuable metals can be exported back to Earth for funds. Landing sites also have various natural disasters like dust storms, meteors, cold waves, and dust devils that have a chance of randomly happening, increasing the difficulty.
The combination of terraform a new planet and the implications of corporate alliances make this a fascinating game that's unlike other world-taming experiences.
Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. The additional content is available:
- Green Planet (PC) - Make Mars habitable and build a second home for humanity.
- Project Laika - adds a variety of pets and livestock that you can use to benefit your colony and improve life on the Red Planet.
- Space Race - Compete for milestones and anomalies with several other AI colonies backed by rival sponsors attempting to become this planet’s superpower. You can trade with, respond to distress calls for, issue distress calls to, and even steal important colonists from these competitor colonies as you establish your territory on Mars.
- Colony Design set - 25 new buildings to give a fresh look to your living, working, and playing quarters.
- Marsvision Song Contest - radio station featuring all the top pop songs from the sponsor countries who’ve set their sights on Mars.
- Mysteries Resupply Pack (PC) - adds three new mysteries for players to investigate and survive.
In the US, ESRB state: Characters may die of malnutrition or commit suicide if their “sanity” levels fall too low; this is conveyed mostly through text, as inhabitants are simply depicted collapsing and lying on the ground after death. Players can also construct turrets to defend their bases from rival corporations' attacks; missiles and explosions accompany these brief attack sequences. Colonists have a variety of character traits that affect their productivity, including alcoholism; text briefly references alcohol addiction (e.g., “We all find our own ways to cope with this pressure. Tsvetan Hasanov finds it in the bottle.”). The word "hell" appears in text.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Surviving Mars or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Surviving Mars.