This game is rated PEGI 7
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 4 months ago.
Being one of the earlier Zelda games, A Link to the Past has relatively simple top-down visuals. It was a landmark game for Nintendo and is considered to be a significant video game with more than four million copies sold. It has been re-released on a number of modern Nintendo consoles. It is also available on the Super NES Mini console.
The game has an additional puzzle as you can switch between the Light World and Dark World, which mirror each other. Each location in the Light World corresponds to a similar location in the Dark World, usually with a similar physical structure but an opposite nature. Travel between worlds allows for Link to access new areas.
There are many games in the Zelda series, each received long and focused development from Nintendo:
- The Legend of Zelda (1986) on NES
- The Adventure of Link (1987) on NES
- A Link to the Past (1991) on Super NES and Gameboy Advance, then ported to Wii, Wii U and Switch (as part of Nintendo Online).
- Link's Awakening (1993) on Gameboy then updated for Switch
- Ocarina of Time (1998) on Nintendo 64 then updated for 3D on Nintendo 3DS
- Link’s Awakening DX (1998) on Gameboy Colour
- Majora's Mask (2000) on Nintendo 64 then updated to 3D on Nintendo 3DS
- Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages (2001) on Gameboy Colour
- Four Swords (2002) on Gamecube
- The Wind Waker (2002) on Gamecube then updated in HD on Wii U
- Four Swords Adventures (2004) on Gamecube
- The Minish Cap (2004) on Gameboy Advance
- Twilight Princess (2006) on Wii then in HD on Wii U
- Phantom Hourglass (2007) on Nintendo DS
- Spirit Tracks (2009) on Nintendo DS
- Skyward Sword (2011) on Wii
- A Link Between Worlds (2013) on Nintendo 3DS
- Tri Force Heroes (2015) on Nintendo 3DS
- Breath of the Wild (2017) on Switch
- Breath of the Wild Sequel (TBA) on Switch
View our choice of games like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. This game is good if you want to:
Rated for younger players in the US. Rated ESRB EVERYONE for Mild Violence.
8+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Younger players need to be able to navigate the world, look for secrets and deal with reaction-based combat. Good navigation and memory are a help, particularly as the game ramps up in layers and complexity.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past..