This game is rated PEGI 16
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Death, Spells, Stabbed and Wounds.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 19 months ago, last updated 9 months ago.
You choose an army to command which determines your faction, starting point and objectives. You take turns to move your armies, conduct diplomacy, build the infrastructure and generally run your faction. When you enter direct combat with enemy forces, the game is played in real-time where you must make quick and time-critical decisions about how to best use your forces.
Over the years there have been a wide variety of Total War games, each picking up a historical era with considerable accuracy. Some of the games in the series, like Warhammer, adopt a fantasy setting:
- Shogun: Total War (2000) on PC
- Medieval: Total War (2002) on PC
- Rome: Total War (2004) on Mac, PC, iOS
- Medieval II: Total War (2006) on PC, Mac
- Empire: Total War (2009) on Mac, PC.
- Napoleon: Total War (2010) on Mac and PC
- Total War: Shogun 2 (2011) on Mac, PC.
- Total War: Rome II (2013) on PC and Mac.
- Total War: Attila (2015) on PC, Mac,
- Total War: Warhammer (2016) PC, Mac
- Total War: Warhammer II (2017) on PC, Mac
- Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia (2018) on PC, Mac
- Total War: Three Kingdoms (2019) PC, Mac
- Total War Saga: Troy (2020) on PC and Mac
- Total War: Warhammer III (TBA) on PC and Mac
The Warhammer versions of the game are a good crossover with the Games Workshop tabletop game. Both for players of those games looking for a screen based version, but also as a way to introduce video game players to a world supported by the physical tabletop games.
The Total War games have been rumoured for PlayStation and Xbox consoles for some time but no concrete plans have been announced. There is an iOS and Android version of Rome Total War that works well with a redesigned interface for mobile.
You don’t need a platform subscription to play this game online. Expansions are provided for each game that enhance visuals and provide new factions, campaigns and strategic mechanics to play. Some of these are free, while others are purchased. As mentioned above, these expansions can make the game more graphically violent, like with the Blood for the Blood God II expansion for Total War Warhammer II.
The Android and iOS version of Rome Total War is sold in separate editions, as well as a compilation pack that includes them all for a lower price.
Account RatingYou don’t need a platform subscription to play this game online.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Total War or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Total War, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16 or ESRB TEEN games.