Posted: A year ago, last updated 10 weeks ago.
Each battle is divided between aviation, ground forces or fleet, rather than mixing these elements. This includes vehicles from different eras: pre-World War I naval vessels, tanks and aircraft from the Spanish Civil War and even the Iraq war and beyond. As you progress game brings in more elements fromWorld War II, Vietnam and the Cold War. You can control aircraft, ground vehicles and warships from USA, Germany, Russia, Britain, and Japan. You can also play as nations with smaller militaries or less prominence in conflicts, such as Italy, France, China and Sweden.
The land, air and sea are divided into different game modes:
- Arcade Battles has two teams of up to 16 with vehicles from different nations. Damage is simplified although still aims to be realistic.
- Realistic Battles are more advanced, simulating realistic physics and damage modelling. With this comes more rewards and upgrades as well as more strategic encounters. This mode can recreate historic battles.
- Simulator Battles add more restrictions to create a believable experience, with no head up display or exterior view of the action.
A single player mode is available focusing on historical settings as well as a cooperative mode against waves of computer controlled ground vehicles and aircraft.
This game is free to play. Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
You need to purchase a Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online with Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S. You can buy the game and some content to get started:
- Beginner's Bundle - M3A1 Stuart, Rasmussen's P-36A Hawk, Premium for 7 days, 500 Golden Eagles, 120 000 Silver Lions.
- T-72AV (TURMS-T) - Premium for 15 days, 2000 Golden Eagles.
- Full Alert Bundle - T14, BTD-1, Elco 80 ft PT-556, 1000 Golden Eagles, Premium for 7 days, 120 000 Silver Lions.
You can buy packs of Golden Eagle and Silver Lions currency which enables you to access new vehicles and speeds research. You can also buy packs of content:
- US Beginner's Pack
- German Starter Pack
- USSR Starter Pack
- USA Pacific Campaign Pack
- Japanese Pacific Campaign
- T-55AM-1 Pack
- Super AMX-30 Pack
- AV-8A Harrier Pack
The following in-game purchases are available:
War Thunder: Apache Bundle
War Thunder: Beginner's Bundle
War Thunder: Early Access Advanced Bundle
War Thunder: Early Access Starter Bundle
War Thunder: Full Alert Bundle
War Thunder: Prinz Eugen Bundle
War Thunder: Strv 103-0 Bundle
War Thunder: T-72Av (Turms-T) Bundle
Skill Rating12+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game.
Account RatingYou need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S.
You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to War Thunder or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to War Thunder, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 12 or ESRB TEEN games.