This game is rated PEGI 16
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 3 days ago.
Tactics are important, as you can’t see enemies until you have line of sight. You also need to carefully equip and use soldiers abilities to perform different duties. You can take cover behind walls and objects in the environment as well as save your movement for opportunity fire. Then between missions you can train, research and equip for the next challenge.
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012) on Android, iOS, PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360
- The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (2013) on Mac, PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- XCOM: Enemy Within (2013) an expansion for XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Android, iOS, PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360
- XCOM 2 (2016) on Mac, PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
- XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (2017) an expansion for XCOM 2 on Mac, PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
- XCOM: Chimera Squad (2020) a budget standalone game on PC.
The combination of turn based strategy and squad tactics spawned a genre of its own with many spin off games from the XCOM mould. These are worth noting if you are looking for this kind of experience on other systems:
- Rebelstar Tactical Commander on GBA
- Ghost Recon Shadow Wars on the 3DS
- Mario vs Rabbids on Switch
Release Date: 01/01/1994, updated in 2017
Price: 66% off
Platforms: Android, Mac, PC, PS Vita, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and iOS
Content Rating: PEGI 16
Skill Rating: 11+ year-olds
Players: 1-2 (2 online)
Genres: Strategy (Action, Adventure, Fighting, Role-Play, Shooting and Simulation)
Rated for younger players in the US. XCOM 2 rated ESRB TEEN for Blood, Use of Tobacco, Violence. From a top-down perspective, players manage resources, engage in combat missions, rescue characters, and terrorize alien installations. Players use rifles, machine guns, pistols, and grenades to kill enemies (e.g., human-, insect-, beast-like characters) in turn-based combat. Attack moves occur in brief cutscenes that depict characters getting shot or wounded/killed by explosions. Splashes and pools of yellow and red blood sometimes appear when characters are injured or killed. During the course of the game, players can customize soldiers with accessories, including lit cigarettes and cigars.
11+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content.
X-COM: Terror from the Deep
XCOM 2 Collection
XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe Edition
XCOM: Chimera Squad
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Xcom 2 Digital Deluxe Edition
Xcom 2: War Of The Chosen
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
XCOM 2 offers paid expansions like the substantial "War of the Chosen" that add stories, missions and characters to the game. There are also smaller content packs that add outfits and accessories.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Newer XOMX games support accessibility in the following ways:
- Difficulty: Turn-based gameplay and save anytime to reduce fatigue. Different difficulty levels are available.
- Reading: There is considerable reading. Subtitles accompany any spoken elements of the story.
- Controls: Fully playable with mouse and you can remap keys.
- Image calibration: Visual cues to highlight audible events.
- Audio calibration: Adjust audio individually for effects, music and ambience.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to XCOM in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to XCOM, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16 or ESRB TEEN games.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to XCOM., or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16 or ESRB TEEN games.