This game is rated PEGI 16
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 21 months ago, last updated 7 months ago.
Tactics are important, as you can’t see enemies until you have line of sight. You also need to carefully equip and use soldiers abilities to perform different duties. You can take cover behind walls and objects in the environment as well as save your movement for opportunity fire. Then between missions you can train, research and equip for the next challenge.
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012) on Android, iOS, PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360
- The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (2013) on Mac, PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- XCOM: Enemy Within (2013) an expansion for XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Android, iOS, PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360
- XCOM 2 (2016) on Mac, PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
- XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (2017) an expansion for XCOM 2 on Mac, PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
- XCOM: Chimera Squad (2020) a budget standalone game on PC.
The combination of turn based strategy and squad tactics spawned a genre of its own with many spin off games from the XCOM mould. These are worth noting if you are looking for this kind of experience on other systems:
- Rebelstar Tactical Commander on GBA
- Ghost Recon Shadow Wars on the 3DS
- Mario vs Rabbids on Switch
Players: You can play with 2 players in the same room and up to 2 players online. XCOM takes up to 45 hours to complete, although this doesn’t include the multiplayer option. There is a player vs player online and local challenge where each player equips their squad of soldiers or aliens.
Xcom 2 Collection
Xcom 2 Digital Deluxe Edition
Xcom: Enemy Unknown
Xcom: Enemy Unknown Plus
Xcom: Enemy Within
XCOM: Enemy Within
Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. XCOM 2 offers paid expansions like the substantial "War of the Chosen" that add stories, missions and characters to the game. There are also smaller content packs that add outfits and accessories.
Skill Rating13+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game. Still, it's important for parents and guardians to consider the maturity required to process the game content.
- Difficulty: Turn-based gameplay and save anytime to reduce fatigue. Different difficulty levels are available.
- Reading: There is considerable reading. Subtitles accompany any spoken elements of the story.
- Controls: Fully playable with mouse and you can remap keys.
- Image calibration: Visual cues to highlight audible events.
- Audio calibration: Adjust audio individually for effects, music and ambience.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to XCOM or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to XCOM, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16 or ESRB TEEN games.