This game is rated PEGI 16
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Drug, Drugs, Killed, Marijuana, Sex and Strangled.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 5 weeks ago.
You choose how characters interact and talk to each other and the choices they make. It's made from some of the team behind Detroit: Become Human and reflects similar aspects in storytelling. Ultimately, these decisions have an impact on the future of the story and shape what happens.
The game has a visual style similar to Heaven's vault, which resembles a stop-motion graphic novel but in a cinematic animated world. All dialogue is spoken and builds a mature narrative. With very few games like this it's a new and unique style that may develop in the future of popular narrative games.
It's a story that starts in the middle and then spirals out to encompass multiple points of view over a thirty year span. It explores the past, present and future of a single dramatic night. It asks questions about the influence of a toxic, but loving, family. Questions our power to really start over by moving home or changing jobs. And offers a chance to reflect on overcoming the past.
Each additional player needs either the free As Dusk Falls companion app on their Android or iOS phone or a copy of the game if they are also on Xbox or PC. Just one person needs the game on the Xbox or PC.
Cross-Play: Play between console, PC and companion app (at least one person on console or PC).
Account RatingYou don’t need a platform subscription to play this game online.
There's quite a bit of reading. As well as Text-to-Speech and Speech-to-Text for player-to-player communication, the game supports a screen reader:
- Menu Narration: Enables menu UI to be read aloud by the screen reader.
- Gameplay Narration: Enables in-game UI and important gameplay elements to be read aloud by the screen reader.
You can adjust the gameplay to ease cognitive load:
- Hotspot Display Type: Allows the player to have all the hotspots stay on screen after being discovered, or to have them all appear from the beginning of the scene.
- Quick Action Types: Allows the player to remove mashing interactions, or to set all interactions to require a single button tap or a hold.
- Extended QTE Timer: All Quick Time Events (QTE) have a 10-second timer to finish. With this setting, for the Mash, you have a longer amount of time to do the same amount of mash but are still against the clock.
- Choice Timer: Allows the player to disable timers in all choice scenes and Timed Hotspots.
- Extended Override Timer: Extends the override timer (how long you get to override another player's choices) from 10 seconds to 20 seconds.
The game has an autosave which saves the game after a scene change or a big decision is made.
The background occasionally has flashing lights, such as the lights on top of a police car, and during decisions, the game also adds visual distortion to the background that can't be disabled. The game can also be dark and low-contrast at times.
Text that appears on in-game objects that is important to the plot, such as writing on a notepad, can also be displayed as subtitle-stye text at the bottom of the screen. The game's subtitles include the name of the speaker, but not their tone. Environmental sounds, such as a dog barking or a car skidding, are also shown.
When playing along using the smartphone app, you only need to use a single finger but could be asked to hold or swipe the screen, mirroring the console/PC action.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to As Dusk Falls in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to As Dusk Falls, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16 or ESRB MATURE 17+ games.