Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 2 weeks ago.
It's quite simple to play with one button for light attacks and one for signature attacks (sigs in the community). The attackers are modified by the joystick direction. As you become proficient at the controls and a particular character you can use more buttons for attacking, performing special moves, picking up or throwing weapons, and dodging. What starts as a simple game soon reveals itself to be a highly skilled challenge that has its own esports leagues and meetings.
There is a wide range of (currently 49) characters available, although some of these you have to pay to access (see below). Each has four stats to define how they perform: Strength, Dexterity, Defence and Speed. Cross-over characters from other franchises are often added to the game as it has become more popular, including Shovel Knight, Rayman, Hellboy, WWE The Rock, Tomb RaiderLara Croft.
On iOS and Android you can compete with console and PC players. This enables you to fully customise your touch screen control schemes and use controllers, letting them achieve precise combos in real-time combat.
Then there are unranked modes:
- Free-For-All: A chaotic mode where 4 players knock each other out to gain points.
- 1v1 Strikeout: Players pick 3 characters which they play for 1 stock each.
- Experimental 1v1: Players to test out upcoming features against each other.
- Custom: Online and locally for up to 8 players.
Cross-Platform: Allows players on Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One to queue against each other in online ranked play and to create custom lobbies which a player on any platform can join.
You can play this game in the following styles:
9+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game.
Account RatingYou don’t need a platform subscription to play this game online.
You don’t need a platform subscription to play this game online.
The purchased items are cosmetic only: character skins, weapon skins, and taunts. The purchases can be made with real money to open "chests". There are lots of types but all cost the same. Each chest has 3 exclusive skins and 16 skins that are not exclusive to that chest. All possible drops can be viewed before purchase.
Each week, there is a selection of 8 free characters to use. New characters are regularly added to the roster of (currently) 49 characters. To access these permanently you need to buy them with the in-game currency earned through matches, daily missions, and level-ups. You can also purchase all existing and future characters via a one-time transaction, in a Season Pass style offer.
This game supports accessibility in the following ways:
- Difficulty: It is a difficult game but you can train against computer opponents of different ability.
- Reading: There is a lot of reading in the character selection and shop screens. The text is small and a bit faint on dark backgrounds.
- Controls: You can remap gamepad and keyboard controls. Including options for pressing up to jump and auto pick up items.
- Image calibration: You can select camera and player indicators to make the screen easier to read. Selecting "Only You" for the Player Names makes it easy to find yourself. Visual cues are provided to match the audio.
- Audio calibration: Can adjust music and effects audio separately. Audio cues along with visual feedback.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to Brawlhalla in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to Brawlhalla.
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Brawlhalla..