Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Series) Review
Posted: 7 months ago, last updated 12 days ago.
Author: Andy Robertson.
Played from a first-person perspective, these games take considerable skill to master. Although the setting, weaponry, narrative and game modes are developed and enhanced each year, the core experience remains the same:
- Call of Duty (2003) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3
- Call of Duty 2 (2005) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and Xbox One via backwards compatibility.
- Call of Duty 3 (2006) on PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and Xbox One via backwards compatibility
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and remastered for Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: World at War (2008) on PC, PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and Xbox One via backwards compatibility
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) on PC, Mac, XBox 360, PS3 and Xbox One compatible
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and Xbox One via backwards compatibility
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and Xbox One compatible
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012) PC, XBox 360, PS3, Wii U and Xbox One via backwards compatibility
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013) PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014) PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016) on PC, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: WWII (2017) on PC,Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018) on PC, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) on PC, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Modern Warzone (2019) is a free combat arena on PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Call of Duty: Mobile (2019) on iOS and Android
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (2020) on PC, Xbox One, PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X
Rating: PEGI 18+, ESRB MATURE 17+
Release Date: 25/10/2019
Players: You can play with 4 players in the same room and up to 16 players online. How many players can play on one system varies between games although there is a trend away from split-screen in more recent offerings.
Cross-Play: You can play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Warzone with people on other systems: Xbox One, PS4, PC.
You will need Xbox Live Gold (must be 18 to create, then configure family accounts for younger players) to play online with Xbox One or Xbox Series X | Series S. You will need PlayStation Plus (must be 18 to create, then create sub-accounts for younger players who need be set as 13 or older) to play online with PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
The ESRB rated this MATURE 17+ with blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, suggestive themes, use of drugs. It expands on this rating: Combat is highlighted by realistic gunfire, screams of pain, and large blood-splatter effects. A sniper rifle causes increased damage (e.g., decapitation, dismemberment). Some sequences prompt players to make choices that influence enemy behavior: using a pistol to threaten a suspect's family during an interrogation; timing actions to prevent terrorists from shooting hostages (failure scenarios may occur). One sequence depicts players' character interrogated/tortured via waterboarding; if players select certain dialogue options, then a bound prisoner is seen executed. Cutscenes depict additional acts of violence: a hostage killed by an explosive vest; civilians (including children) killed by a gas attack. Some scenes depict terrorists threatening and, in rare instances, attacking or shooting young characters (e.g., a boy held hostage; young siblings attacked in their home—players can control their ability to fight back). The game includes multiplayer badges that depict illustrations of marijuana leaves and smoking; other illustrations depict close-up angles of partially exposed cleavage and buttocks. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” appear in the dialogue.
Users Interact: The game enables players to interact and communicate with each other, so may expose players to language usually associated with older rated games.
Windows has extensive accessibility features. Some, like colour correction, work with games. Lots of accessibility software can be used with PC games, from voice recognition to input device emulators. PlayStation 4 has a range of accessibility settings. Some are system only, some work in games (invert colours and button mapping). PlayStation 5 has a range of system-wide accessibility settings. Xbox One has a system features, the excellent co-pilot share controls mode and adaptive controller support for all games. Xbox One has a system features, the excellent co-pilot share controls mode and adaptive controller support for all games... read more about system accessibility settings.
The following games are like Call of Duty Modern Warfare. They address a similar topic or offer a similar way to play. They are good options to play next and also good alternatives to Call of Duty Modern Warfare for younger age ratings.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.