This game is rated PEGI 18+
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
blood-splatter, decapitation, defenceless characters, dismemberment, drugs, ghosts, gore, graphic violence, horror, killed, killing and marijuana.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Series) Review
Posted: 16 months ago, last updated 9 weeks ago.
Played from a first-person perspective, these games take considerable skill to master. Although the setting, weaponry, narrative and game modes are developed and enhanced each year, the core experience remains the same:
- Call of Duty (2003) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3
- Call of Duty 2 (2005) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and Xbox One via backwards compatibility.
- Call of Duty 3 (2006) on PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and Xbox One via backwards compatibility
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and remastered for Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: World at War (2008) on PC, PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and Xbox One via backwards compatibility
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) on PC, Mac, XBox 360, PS3 and Xbox One compatible
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and Xbox One via backwards compatibility
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and Xbox One compatible
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012) PC, XBox 360, PS3, Wii U and Xbox One via backwards compatibility
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013) PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014) PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015) on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016) on PC, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: WWII (2017) on PC,Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018) on PC, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) on PC, Xbox One, PS4
- Call of Duty: Modern Warzone (2019) is a free combat arena on PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Call of Duty: Mobile (2019) on iOS and Android
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (2020) on PC, Xbox One, PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X
Having added Battle Royale modes to the game for a few years since Fortnite's success, in 2020 the game launched a free-to-play battle royale version called Call of Duty: Warzone on PS4 and Xbox One, that attracted over six million users in just 24 hours since launch.
Content Rating: PEGI 18+
Release Date: 25/10/2019
Price: 50% off
Platforms: PC, PS4 and Xbox One
Genres: Action, Fighting, Open World and Shooting
Players: You can play with 4 players in the same room and up to 16 players online. How many players can play on one system varies between games although there is a trend away from split-screen in more recent offerings.
Cross-Play: You can play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Warzone with people on other systems: Xbox One, PS4, PC.
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Bundle
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare: Digital Standard Edition
Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. This includes a regular subscription fee (known as a 'battle/season pass') to unlock access to reward items and other aspects of the game.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019) received a PEGI 18 which restricts availability to ADULTS ONLY and is not suitable for anyone below this age. This rating has been given due to violence against vulnerable and defenceless characters., motiveless killing of innocent characters, graphic violence and use of strong language. Not suitable for persons below 18 years of age.
The ESRB rated this MATURE 17+ with blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, suggestive themes, use of drugs. It expands on this rating: Combat is highlighted by realistic gunfire, screams of pain, and large blood-splatter effects. A sniper rifle causes increased damage (e.g., decapitation, dismemberment). Some sequences prompt players to make choices that influence enemy behaviour: using a pistol to threaten a suspect's family during an interrogation; timing actions to prevent terrorists from shooting hostages (failure scenarios may occur). One sequence depicts players' character interrogated/tortured via waterboarding; if players select certain dialogue options, then a bound prisoner is seen executed. Cutscenes depict additional acts of violence: a hostage killed by an explosive vest; civilians (including children) killed by a gas attack. Some scenes depict terrorists threatening and, in rare instances, attacking or shooting young characters (e.g., a boy held hostage; young siblings attacked in their home—players can control their ability to fight back). The game includes multiplayer badges that depict illustrations of marijuana leaves and smoking; other illustrations depict close-up angles of partially exposed cleavage and buttocks. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” appear in the dialogue.
Users Interact: The game enables players to interact and communicate with each other, so may expose players to language usually associated with older rated games.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Call of Duty Modern Warfare or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Call of Duty Modern Warfare, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 18+ or ESRB MATURE 17+ games.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.