This game is rated PEGI 16
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
assault and stabbed.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Halo (Series) Review
Posted: 17 months ago, last updated 4 weeks ago.
Weapons must be used to deplete opponents’ energy shields before being able to damage them, so multiplayer combat encounters are a game of cat and mouse. Add to this the melee of attacks, varied terrain and advanced artificial intelligence of the enemies, and you can see why it takes a long time to master.
The game’s futuristic setting, dramatic music, fantastical weapons and diverse enemies makes Halo 5: Guardians competitive, exuberant and fun, without taking itself too seriously. Whether in its single-player campaign or online multiplayer modes, players revel in the lore, story and heroic characters as much as the necessary quick reactions and headshots.
The original trilogy:
- Halo Combat Evolved is on original Xbox
- Halo 2 is on original Xbox
- Halo 3 is on Xbox 360
- Halo 3: ODST is set after Halo 2 and on Xbox 360
- Halo: Reach is a prequel to the original trilogy on Xbox 360
A new Reclaimer Saga trilogy:
- Halo 4 is on Xbox 360
- Halo 5: Guardians in on Xbox One
- Halo Infinite is on Xbox One
- Halo Wars is a strategy game on Xbox 360
- Halo Wars 2 is a strategy game on Xbox One
- Halo: Spartan Assault and Halo: Spartan Strike are a mobile shooting game on iOS, Android
Rereleased and updated games:
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is updated for Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection is remastered Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo 4, Halo: Reach on Xbox One and PC.
Players: You can play with 4 players in the same room and up to 16 players online. Along with the online and split-screen battles in arenas, you can play through the main story co-operatively in Halo games:
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary with 2 players, split-screen or online
- Halo 2: Anniversary with 2 players, split-screen or online
- Halo 3 with 4 players online or 2 players split-screen
- Halo 3: ODST with 4 players online or 2 players split-screen
- Halo: Reach with 4 players online or 2 player split-screen
- Halo 4 with 4 players online or 2 players split-screen
- Halo 5: Guardians with 4 players online, no split-screen mode.
Cross-Play: You can play Halo Wars with people on either Xbox One or PC.
Halo 3: Odst Campaign Edition
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo 5: Guardians: Digital Deluxe Edition
Halo Wars 2 Demo
Halo Wars 2: Complete Edition
Halo Wars 2: Standard Edition
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Halo: Spartan Assault
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. In the online part of Halo 5: Guardians, you can purchase REQ packs to unlock cosmetic items.
The following in-game purchases are available:
Halo Wars 2: Icons Of War
Halo Wars 2: Serina & Spearbreaker Bundle
Halo 5: Guardians was rated PEGI 16 with violence. The examiner's report expands this rating with the following: The majority of the campaign is concerned with dispatching enemy alien characters, however human characters can also be attacked with melee weapons, explosives and various firearms. Enemies which are shot or stabbed usually fall to the ground and there may be a small amount of blood.
During multiplayer gameplay, players can assassinate heavily armoured human characters by jumping on their back and twisting their neck, with a breaking sound. Some more non-realistic guns can blow your enemies up into glowing parts which disintegrate.
The game features online playing capability which may involve real-time interaction with other players.
As reflected in its age ratings and descriptors, Halo 5: Guardians marks the first time the series was given a ESRB TEEN rating in the US rather than its usual MATURE 17+ classification. This not only makes it an alternative over other, more violent, first-person shooters, but also takes its gameplay in a more layered, strategic direction.
Skill Rating: This game is enjoyed by 10-18 year-olds as it's a good match for their ability and maturity. The campaign can be a good place for novice players to start. The online battles require considerably more skill and experience so are better for older teenagers.
Users Interact: The game enables players to interact and communicate with each other, so may expose players to language usually associated with older rated games.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Halo or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Halo, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16 or ESRB TEEN games.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.