Lego Super Mario Review
Posted: 16 months ago, last updated 4 months ago.
It sounds like the sort of thing you can do without the expensive Lego Super Mario packs, but actually the technology adds considerable fun and imaginative engagement. The Lego Mario figure "reads" which bricks he is on and reacts via his animated eyes, mouth and speaker, while keeping track of your score, the time left and how many lives you have. Power-up bricks enable you to include special abilities in your design. Builder Mario, Cat Mario, Fire Mario and Propeller Mario to name a few.
What starts out as a novel way to engage with two popular brands, soon turns into a detailed way to start designing video games. You not only need to create a narrative and plan for your levels, but must ensure the player has enough time to finish them, and whether they need additional time blocks or power-ups.
Once you have built your levels you can challenge the family to play through them and record your best times on the Lego Super Mario app on iOS and Android.
There is also a huge Lego Nintendo Entertainment System (71374) set that creates a life size NES system that you can (kind of) play by turning a handle to scroll the platform level round and round while you jump Mario on a stick. You can place the interactive Mario figure on top of the TV set and he reacts to your progress.
- LEGO Super Mario Guarded Fortress Expansion Set (71362)
- LEGO Super Mario Desert Pokey Expansion Set (71363)
- LEGO Super Mario Whomp’s Lava Trouble Expansion Set (71364)
- LEGO Super Mario Piranha Plant Power Slide Expansion Set (71365)
- LEGO Super Mario Boomer Bill Barrage Expansion Set (71366)
- LEGO Super Mario Mario’s House & Yoshi Expansion Set (71367)
- LEGO Super Mario Toad’s Treasure Hunt Expansion Set (71368)
- LEGO Super Mario Bowser’s Castle Boss Battle Expansion Set (71369)
- LEGO Super Mario Thwomp Drop Expansion Set (71376)
- LEGO Super Mario King Boo and the Haunted Yard Expansion Set (71377)
There are also special power-up packs:
- LEGO Super Mario Fire Mario Power-Up Pack (71370)
- LEGO Super Mario Propeller Mario Power-Up Pack (71371)
- LEGO Super Mario Cat Mario Power-Up Pack (71372)
- LEGO Super Mario Builder Mario Power-Up Pack (71373)
Skill RatingThis game is enjoyed by 6+ year-olds as it's a good match for their ability and maturity.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Lego Super Mario or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Lego Super Mario.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.