This game is rated PEGI 18
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Decapitation, Insanity, Sex and Sexual Content.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 4 months ago.
Author: @GeekDadGamer, Jo Robertson and Ben Kendall.
The game is a combination of exploring locations, talking to characters for information and action based shooting missions. Over the course of the game, your choices determine the story and how you shape your version of Commander Shepard and his or her team. This impacts not only the current game put also options in future games of the trilogy as well.
- Mass Effect (2007) on PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Mass Effect 2 (2010) on PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Mass Effect 3 (2012) on PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition (2021) HD version of main series on PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4
In addition to the newer game, Mass Effect: Andromeda (2017), you can play the series on the latest hardware as follows:
- PlayStation: The original trilogy cannot be played on PlayStation 4 (it's not backwards compatible and not available on PlayStation Now). Mass Effect 2 on PlayStation 3 enables you to catch-up with plot and decisions via the Genesis content, if you didn't play the first game.
- Xbox: You can play the trilogy on Xbox One's backwards compatibility either by purchasing the 360 games individually or subscribing to EA Access (for the trilogy) or Game Pass (for the first game).
- PC: You can play the trilogy by purchasing them or via Origin subscription.
- Wii U: Mass Effect 3: Special Edition on Wii U includes additional content and catch-up decision making to provide context for those who didn't play the first game.
There are also spin-off games on mobile that offer a different experience in the same universe:
- Mass Effect Galaxy (2009) on iOS
- Mass Effect Infiltrator (2012) on iOS, Android
- Mass Effect Datapad (2012) on iOS
- Mass Effect: Andromeda APEX HQ (2017) on iOS, Android
Along with the games themselves are a series of fiction books and guides that expand the storylines and flesh out the wider teachers of the galaxy.
Release Date: 20/11/2007
Price: 70% off
Platforms: PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and iOS
Content Rating: PEGI 18
Genres: Adventure, Role-Play (Action, Narrative, Shooting and Traversal)
Accessibility: 26 features
Components: 3D Third-Person and Open World
View our choice of games like Mass Effect. This game is good if you want to:
|Xbox One||£14.99||–||Free |
Xbox Game Pass
Xbox Game Pass
|Xbox Series X|S||Free||–||Free |
Xbox Game Pass
Mass Effect (2007)
Mass Effect 2 (2010)
Mass Effect 3 (2012)
Mass Effect Legendary Edition
|Xbox One||£59.99||–||Free |
|SALE||PS4||£59.99||£17.99 at the moment||Free |
PS Plus Essential
|Xbox Series X|S||Free||–||Free |
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Mass Effect: Andromeda Deluxe Upgrade
Mass Effect: Andromeda: Deluxe Recruit Edition
Mass Effect: Andromeda: Standard Recruit Edition
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect Andromeda
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
The games offer in-game purchases but the bundles and subscriptions of the original trilogy usually include the key elements for free.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Mass Effect Legendary Edition (a remaster of all 3 main games, released 2021) has more accessibility features and we have used that version of the game to highlight here.
There are five difficulty levels to pick from in each game in the Legendary Edition: Casual, Normal, Veteran, Hardcore and Insanity for Mass Effect 1&2, while Mass Effect 3 has Narrative, Casual, Normal, Hardcore and Insanity. Each difficulty ramps up the difficulty of the combat sections, with enemies getting more health, more defence and stronger attacks. While most trophies can be obtained on any difficulty, there is one which requires you to be in the hardest difficulty. In Mass Effect 2 and 3, you can swap sticks on a controller.
When you start, you are prompted as to whether you want subtitles, what difficulty you want to play on and whether you want autosave. To adjust the size of the subtitles, which are high contrast, and further customise your experience, you need to wait and select the options in the menu.
While all of the in-game dialogue is voice-acted, there is an opening paragraph of context for the story in large and clear white text on a black background that is not. Thanks to the subtitles, the game is more accessible to deaf and hard of hearing players.
When you level up, you can choose whether to manually select the boosts you receive, which can be complicated but provides a more unique experience, or do it automatically.
The crosshair can blend into the background, which can occasionally make it hard to see, and can be especially difficult for colourblind people. Additionally, there are some sections in the Hacking mini-games where to need to observe colour-based patterns.
Diversity and Inclusion
Gender and Sexuality:
Gender Representation: The gender representation of the pre-defined characters you can play in the game.
- Play as Stereotype-Free Woman: The game's protagonist is a woman who doesn't conform to common gender stereotypes. Leading the narrative and not conforming to common objectification.
Sexual Orientation Representation: The sexual and romantic orientation of characters you can play in the game.
- Play as Gay Character: The game’s protagonist is a man, masculine presenting person, or non-binary person who is gay (attracted to men, masculine-presenting people, or non-binary people).
- Play as Lesbian Character: The game’s protagonist is a woman, feminine presenting person, or non-binary person who is a lesbian (attracted to women, feminine presenting people, or non-binary people).
- Play as Bi Character: The game’s protagonist is bi (someone who is attracted to two or more genders, sometimes but not always all genders), pan, poly, or omni.
Hand-Picked Games Like Mass Effect
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Mass Effect. We also have a long list of games similar to Mass Effect.
Hand-Picked Board Games Like Mass Effect
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Mass Effect., or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 18 or ESRB MATURE 17+ games.