Microsoft Flight Simulator Review
Posted: 7 months ago, last updated 5 weeks ago.
Flight Simulator populates the world with animals and roads with vehicles, water flows realistically based on wind direction, grass has individual grass blades and trees have individual leaves, creating the illusion of a living world. This includes over 2 million cities and towns. It adds trillions of trees, real-world airports and various animal species including birds, elephants, giraffes and bears.
Although the central tenant of the game, to recreate the complex expansive world of flight and its related protocols, it's also an amazing way to explore the world. You can use the game to learn about different areas of the planet and even scout, "chase" and interact with real-world storms as they occur in real time.
A tutorial takes you through the basics of flight instruments, takeoff and landing. These are complemented by more leisurely and low-pressure "sight-seeing bush trips, which include overflights of Nevada, Patagonia, and the Balkans."
For those wanting a more realistic experience there are features where players can talk with the air traffic controller, switch camera views, modify checklists, adjust AI systems, adjust fuel tanks, view the navigation log, see objectives, view the VFR map, and adjust the weather; buttons in the bar can be changed.
Out now on PC and coming to Xbox Series X|S in Summer 2021.
View our choice of games like Microsoft Flight Simulator. This game is good if you want to:
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Deluxe
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Premium Deluxe
Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. There are different versions available:
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Standard Edition - Includes 20 highly detailed planes with unique flight models and 30 hand-crafted airports.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Deluxe Edition - 25 highly accurate planes with unique flight models and 35 hand-crafted international airports.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Premium Edition - 30 highly accurate planes with unique flight models and 40 hand-crafted international airports.
Skill Rating: This game is enjoyed by 14+ year-olds as it's a good match for their ability and maturity.
Users Interact: The game enables players to interact and communicate with each other, so may expose players to language usually associated with older rated games.
- Assistance enables waypoint arrows at the taxiways, guiding players on where to go.
- Route & Waypoints enables markers to guide players in the sky.
- Landing Path guides players on landing.
- Travel To time-lapses the flight, condensing long-haul flights.
- Active Pause pauses the flight, allowing players to explore the surrounding area.
- Autorudder keeps the plane in the centre line of taxiways and runways when the player is unable to control it.
Flight Simulator also allows players to search for faunas in the game, either by searching "fauna" on the World Map, or selecting "Fauna Markers" when in mid-air. In addition, there is a feature of entering a geographic coordinate to find a location.
Our Microsoft Flight Simulator Accessibility Report details 8 accessibility features:
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Microsoft Flight Simulator or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.