This game is rated PEGI 18
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Assault, Death, Decapitation, Defenceless Characters, Dismemberment, Gore and Killed.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 16 months ago.
Author: @GeekDadGamer and Jo Robertson.
While there is a story you follow, how the creatures and the world responds to you depends on your previous actions as well as how other events are unfolding for the different races. For example, If an enemy kills the player, he will up promoted and become more powerful in future encounters.
In Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Mordor is not yet a barren wasteland, you will encounter Gollum and discover that the wraith who revived him is Celebrimbor, the greatest Elven smith master of the Second Age, who also seeks revenge against Sauron. Middle-earth: Shadow of War continues the story, as you travel to Mount Doom. You will deal with Shelob, the Ring, Sauron's forces and a valuable Palantir. You don't need to know the books and films but this will add more substance to the events you are caught up in.
Release Date: 30/09/2014, updated in 2017
Platforms: PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Content Rating: PEGI 18
Players: 1 (2 online)
Genres: Action, Adventure (Fighting, Narrative, Role-Play, Simulation and Strategy)
Accessibility: 1 feature
Components: 3D Third-Person and Open World
Developer: Monolith Dev (@MonolithDev)
View our choice of games like Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. This game is good if you want to:
Shadow of War also has Online Conquest that's a little like Clash of Clans and results in a ranking. You equip your fortress and upload it online for other players to assault. You can assault other people's fortresses. Depending on how quickly you win you are awarded a rank and loot. You can't lose captains when defending a fortress but you can when assaulting.
You can play this game in the following styles:
- You need PlayStation Plus to play online with PlayStation 3.
- You need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4.
Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor -Game Of The Year Edition
Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor Legion Edition
Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor: Game Of The Year Edition
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
- In-Game Pass: Purchase a season/battle pass to gain access to limited in-game purchases, reward items and other aspects of the game.
You need a subscription to play online:
- You need Xbox Live Gold to play online with Xbox 360.
- You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4.
- You need to purchase a Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online with Xbox One.
In addition to small items and customisations there are larger paid expansions for Shadow of Mordor:
- Lord of the Hunt
- The Bright Lord
There are also small items and large expansions for Shadow of War:
- Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
- Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
- Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
- Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
The Game of the Year and Definitive editions includes these upgrades. You can also purchase a season pass to access the big content packs and other bonuses.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Diversity and Inclusion
Hand-Picked Games Like Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. We also have a long list of games similar to Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.
Hand-Picked Board Games Like Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Our experts have hand-picked the following board games that offer a similar experience or theme to Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor., or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 18 or ESRB MATURE 17+ games.