New Super Mario Bros. U Review
Posted: 9 months ago, last updated 9 weeks ago.
There are additional assistance options in this game. The Super Guide detects if you are stuck and offers to control your character to avoid anyone getting stuck.
There was an alternate version of the game called New Super Luigi U with additional features. There is also Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe for Switch that contains both New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. It runs at higher resolution and includes a new playable character, Toadette. It also lets you edit your own levels.
Other Super Mario Bros platform games:
- Super Mario Bros. (1985) on NES and rereleased on GameBoy Colour in 1999.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2001
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2003
- Super Mario Land (1989) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World (1990) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario 64 (1996) on N64 and rereleased on DS in 2004
- Super Mario Sunshine (2002) on GameCube
- New Super Mario Bros (2012) on DS
- Super Mario Galaxy (2007) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) on Wii
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) on Wii
- Super Mario 3D Land (2011) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012) on 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. U (2013) on Wii U
- Super Mario 3D World (2014) on Wii U
- Super Mario Run (2016) on iOS and Android
- Super Mario Odyssey (2017) on Switch
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019) on Switch
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020) on Switch Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy
Players: You can play with 5 players in the same room, but you can’t play it online. On Wii U the game is played with Wii Remotes, Pro Controller or the Wii U GamePad. A big novelty is how a fifth player can play a different role. With four main players use Wii Remotes, this extra player uses the Wii U gamepad screen to add platforms and stun enemies.
On the Switch version you use Joy-Con controllers (half each) but can't access the assistance player mode of the Wii U, so this version is 4 players.
- 82 new courses
- Play as Luigi
- Play as thieving Nabbit
New Super Luigi U is available as a stand alone game, it is also included in the Switch version New Super Mario U Deluxe.
Nintendo Switch has some built-in features, including a lockable zoom, that can be used on all games. The Wii U has some limited settings, such as disabling rumble and selecting mono audio... read more about system accessibility settings.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to New Super Mario Bros. U or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to New Super Mario Bros. U.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.