This game is rated PEGI 18
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Assault, Blood-splatter, Cocaine, Dismemberment, Drug, Drugs, Gambling, Gore and Killing.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 15 months ago, last updated 7 weeks ago.
Author: Andrea Walney, @GeekDadGamer and Jo Robertson.
Through the eyes of the protagonist, you can take on missions with a computer controlled team, or go online with up to three teammates. Some levels require stealth where you need to avoid cameras, or alerting witnesses. Other levels are all guns blazing. Police will turn up to the heist after a certain time and will attack in assault waves.
As you progress there are missions that require specialist equipment such as safe breaking gear and get away cars. Throughout, the aim is to get the loot to the vehicle as quickly as possible and make your escape. Do well and you get more money, as well as progressing the career-led story that culminates in earning enough fund for your retirement.
Featuring some well known voices (John Cleese and Ron Perlman to name two) the second game has the feeling of a Hollywood Blockbuster. Indeed, an extra heist was added in December 2017 based on the Quentin Tarantino film "Reservoir Dogs" which plays in reverse chronological order. There are also 30 downloadable extra content packs to purchase including more heists as well as extra weaponry. A third game is currently in the works and expected in 2023.
Release Date: 13/08/2013, updated in 2021
Platforms: PC, PS3, PS4, Switch, Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Content Rating: PEGI 18
Players: 1 (4 online)
Genres: Action, Shooting (Adventure, Simulation and Stealth)
Accessibility: 18 features
Components: 3D First-Person
Developer: Starbreeze AB (@StarbreezeAB)
View our choice of games like Pay Day 2. This game is good if you want to:
You can play this game in the following styles:
- You need PlayStation Plus to play online with PlayStation 3.
- You need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to Nintendo Online, but can then create accounts for children of any age to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4.
Pay Day 2
Payday 2: Crimewave Edition
Payday 2: Crimewave Edition.
Payday 2: The Crimewave Collection
- In-Game Purchases: Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience.
You need a subscription to play online:
- You need Xbox Live Gold to play online with Xbox 360.
- You need to purchase a Nintendo Online subscription to play online with Nintendo Switch.
- You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4.
- You need to purchase a Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online with Xbox One.
It's important to set up your accounts and devices appropriately. More information is on our Financial Resources page.
Look and aiming sensitivity can be adjusted.
The only remapping of the controls is a setting for "southpaw" (left handed).
Subtitles can be turned on and off, but note that some of the spoken dialogue does not match the text on screen.
The mission details use voice-over actors but can be distorted to sound like a walkie talkie or answerphone message. This may be difficult to understand without subtitles.
You can include outlining on ammo and throwable objects for better visibility.
Diversity and Inclusion
Hand-Picked Games Like Pay Day 2
Here are our hand-picked short list of similar games; the perfect thing to play next if you enjoyed Pay Day 2. We also have a long list of games similar to Pay Day 2.