Posted: 7 weeks ago.
Author: Andy Robertson.
In the game you collect rungs to accrue health, and loose these if you are hit. Your aim is usually to stop Eggman's schemes for world domination, by navigating levels that include springs, slopes, bottomless pits, and vertical loops.
In addition to the Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, these are the main releases in the series:
- Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) on Sega Genesis/Megadrive and later on Mobile, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992) on Sega Genesis/Megadrive
- Sonic Spinball (1993) on Sega Genesis/Megadrive
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles (1994) on Sega Genesis/Megadrive
- Sonic Adventure (1998) on Dreamcast
- Sonic Adventure 2 (2001)on GameCube
- Sonic Advance (2001) on Game Boy Advance
- Sonic Mega Collection (2003) on GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox
- Sonic Heroes (2003) on PlayStation 2 , Xbox, GameCube
- Shadow the Hedgehog (2005) on PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) on 870,000451
- Sonic Unleashed (2008) on PlayStation 2, Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
- Sonic Colors (2010) on Wii, Nintendo DS
- Sonic Generations (2011) on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows, Nintendo 3DS
- Sonic Lost World (2012) on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS
- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal (2014) on Wii U and 3DS
- Sonic Mania (2018) on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC
Release Date: 23/06/1991, updated in 2017
Platforms: Android, GameCube, Mac, Nintendo 2DS/3DS, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo Wii U, PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360, Xbox One and iOS.
ESRB EVERYONE with mild cartoon violence.
Android has accessibility settings including ways to navigate and interact, although not all games support this. Nintendo Switch has some built-in features, including a lockable zoom, that can be used on all games. The Wii has a few helpful settings, like disable rumble, but you have to use gesture controls for most games and the system menu. The Wii U has some limited settings, such as disabling rumble and selecting mono audio. Windows has extensive accessibility features. Some, like colour correction, work with games. Lots of accessibility software can be used with PC games, from voice recognition to input device emulators. PlayStation 4 has a range of accessibility settings. Some are system only, some work in games (invert colours and button mapping). Xbox One has a system features, the excellent co-pilot share controls mode and adaptive controller support for all games. iOS has a very extensive suite of accessibility settings including ways to navigate with voice and comprehensive screen reading, though most of the features don't work with games... read more about system accessibility settings.
The following games are like Sonic Mania. They address a similar topic or offer a similar way to play. They are good options to play next and also good alternatives to Sonic Mania for younger age ratings.
Sonic Mania is in These Lists
In addition to the similar games listed above, which have been linked to this game specifically in the database, you may find games with a similar theme to Sonic Mania in the following lists:
The games in this list have been recreated (sometimes officially and sometimes unofficially) by developers who love and respect the original while also wanting to update it for modern technology and players.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.