Super Mario Galaxy (Series) Review
Posted: 19 months ago, last updated yesterday.
Nintendo aimed to make the game appeal to players of all ages, and the team had more freedom in designing it compared to other Super Mario games because of the outer space setting. This was underlined with a real orchestral soundtrack.
Along with new interactions and visuals, the tame stands out for its unusually downbeat story. As we hear about Princess Roselina we discover a narrative that draws on the classic children's tale, The Little Prince.
Super Mario Galaxy was a critical and commercial success, hailed as one of the greatest video games of all time. Super Mario Galaxy is the highest-rated game of all time on. Critics praised the game's graphics, gravity mechanics, soundtrack, and setting.
You can play this on the Wii or Wii U with the game disc or purchase the download version on the Wii U. Super Mario Galaxy 2 extends the originals planet platform play. Useful for new players was the addition of an assistance mode if you get stuck. It also adds support for the enhanced Motion Plus Wii Remote controller for more nuanced and accurate controls.
Other Super Mario Bros platform games:
- Super Mario Bros. (1985) on NES and rereleased on GameBoy Colour in 1999.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2001
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2003
- Super Mario Land (1989) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World (1990) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario 64 (1996) on N64 and rereleased on DS in 2004
- Super Mario Sunshine (2002) on GameCube
- New Super Mario Bros (2012) on DS
- Super Mario Galaxy (2007) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) on Wii
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) on Wii
- Super Mario 3D Land (2011) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012) on 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. U (2013) on Wii U
- Super Mario 3D World (2014) on Wii U
- Super Mario Run (2016) on iOS and Android
- Super Mario Odyssey (2017) on Switch
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019) on Switch
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020) on Switch Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy
Skill RatingThis game is enjoyed by 10+ year-olds as it's a good match for their ability and maturity.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Super Mario Galaxy or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Super Mario Galaxy.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.