Super Mario Galaxy (Series) Review
Posted: 7 months ago, last updated 10 days ago.
Author: Andy Robertson.
Nintendo aimed to make the game appeal to players of all ages, and the team had more freedom in designing it compared to other Super Mario games because of the outer space setting. This was underlined with a real orchestral soundtrack.
Super Mario Galaxy was a critical and commercial success, hailed as one of the greatest video games of all time. Super Mario Galaxy is the highest-rated game of all time on. Critics praised the game's graphics, gravity mechanics, soundtrack, and setting.
You can play this on the Wii or Wii U with the game disc or purchase the download version on the Wii U. Super Mario Galaxy 2 extends the originals planet platform play. Useful for new players was the addition of an assistance mode if you get stuck. It also adds support for the enhanced Motion Plus Wii Remote controller for more nuanced and accurate controls.
Other Super Mario Bros platform games:
- Super Mario Bros. (1985) on NES and rereleased on GameBoy Colour in 1999.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2001
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2003
- Super Mario Land (1989) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World (1990) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario 64 (1996) on N64 and rereleased on DS in 2004
- Super Mario Sunshine (2002) on GameCube
- New Super Mario Bros (2012) on DS
- Super Mario Galaxy (2007) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) on Wii
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) on Wii
- Super Mario 3D Land (2011) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012) on 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. U (2013) on Wii U
- Super Mario 3D World (2014) on Wii U
- Super Mario Run (2016) on iOS and Android
- Super Mario Odyssey (2017) on Switch
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019) on Switch
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020) on Switch Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy
Rating: PEGI 3+, ESRB EVERYONE
Release Date: 12/11/2007
How much reading or listening comprehension is required, and how accessible this is.
Simple Minimal Reading: Minimal reading is required.
How you control the game, different options for alternative inputs and whether you can remap these settings to suit your needs.
Motion Controls Available: You can use motion controls, tilting the controller to steer for example.
The Wii has a few helpful settings, like disable rumble, but you have to use gesture controls for most games and the system menu. The Wii U has some limited settings, such as disabling rumble and selecting mono audio... read more about system accessibility settings.
The following games are like Super Mario Galaxy. They address a similar topic or offer a similar way to play. They are good options to play next and also good alternatives to Super Mario Galaxy for younger age ratings.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.