Super Mario Run Review
Posted: A year ago, last updated 8 weeks ago.
The game became the fastest-growing app in iOS history, having been downloaded more than 50 million times worldwide during its first week of release, and around 300 million times by 2018.
Other Super Mario Bros platform games:
- Super Mario Bros. (1985) on NES and rereleased on GameBoy Colour in 1999.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2001
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) on NES and rereleased on GBA in 2003
- Super Mario Land (1989) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World (1990) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (1992) on GameBoy
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995) on SNES and rereleased on GBA in 2002
- Super Mario 64 (1996) on N64 and rereleased on DS in 2004
- Super Mario Sunshine (2002) on GameCube
- New Super Mario Bros (2012) on DS
- Super Mario Galaxy (2007) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) on Wii
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) on Wii
- Super Mario 3D Land (2011) on Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012) on 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. U (2013) on Wii U
- Super Mario 3D World (2014) on Wii U
- Super Mario Run (2016) on iOS and Android
- Super Mario Odyssey (2017) on Switch
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019) on Switch
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars (2020) on Switch Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy
Although just one tap anywhere on the screen to jump and interact, you need to navigate menus with specific tapping to start the game.
No separate audio control for music and effects although you can pick your own music to play for less intrusive audio. There are minimal audio equivalents for visual cues.
How you can adjust the challenge of play, and assistance the game offers when you fail or get stuck.
Select Difficulty: Select difficulty from a range of presets.
Assistance When Stuck: The game notices if you get stuck and provides assistance, such as skipping levels, hints or tutorials.
Tutorials: There are helpful tutorials, instructions and tips.
How much reading or listening comprehension is required, and how accessible this is.
Simple Minimal Reading: Minimal reading is required.
Large Clear Text: Text is large and clear, or can be adjusted to be.
How you control the game, different options for alternative inputs and whether you can remap these settings to suit your needs.
One Tap Anywhere: Play with touchscreen, tap anywhere.
Specific button operation required to play
Holding Down Buttons Optional: Holding down buttons not required or can be turned off or switched to toggling the action on and off.
Rapid Pressing Optional: Quick, repeated button pressing not required or can be skipped or disabled.
How you can adjust the visuals to suit your needs, and offer additional information if you can't hear the game.
Bright Colourful Palette: Game uses bright colours and is generally high contrast.
Large Game Elements: Game characters and other elements are large and distinguishable.
Colourblind friendly: Game doesn’t rely on colour or can switch to colourblind friendly mode.
Clear Interface: The game navigation, maps and information are clear to read, large or adjustable.
How you can adjust the audio of the game and whether audio cues compensate for aspects of the game that are hard to see.
Play Without Hearing: No audio cues are necessary to play the game well
Android has accessibility settings including ways to navigate and interact, although not all games support this. iOS has a very extensive suite of accessibility settings including ways to navigate with voice and comprehensive screen reading, though most of the features don't work with games... read more about system accessibility settings.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Super Mario Run or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Super Mario Run.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.