This game is rated PEGI 7
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Demon and Killing.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 2 years ago, last updated 8 months ago.
Using gem shards, found after killing enemies or hitting lamps, your character can unlock new abilities such as climbing walls, gliding, shrunken attacks, grappling hook and health bonuses. When you first start playing you posses a double jump, that can be used when dodging an enemy, projectile or hitting an object.
You can visit areas you have already been to find extra hidden items and areas to advance in future or current areas. Later on the game lets you warp to the same levels in the past. This changes between 8-bit and 16-bit graphics and sound, but also adds a layer of platforming puzzles. You can use the warping to avoid enemies, but you need to ensure you are in the right era to finish a specific level.
It's a tough challenge, but provided you have the time and resilience to persevere it's also a very rewarding game to complete.
This game supports accessibility in the following ways:
- Difficulty: You can access in-game hints at any point.
- Reading: There is some reading. White text on black background. Some words are coloured for significance but these are a little harder to distinguish. Upgrades are depicted by icons as well as text.
- Controls: You can remap sticks and buttons on the controller as well as the keyboard.
- Image calibration: There are additional visual cues to help in some areas.
- Audio calibration: You can adjust sound and effects volume separately.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to The Messenger in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to The Messenger.