This game is rated PEGI 18
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
Ignore All Content Warnings
Tomb Raider (Series) Review
Posted: 22 months ago, last updated 3 days ago.
This combination of exploration, puzzles and combat (along with an attractive powerful female protagonist) is what the game was originally known for. Although this continues into modern games, Lara is now a more vulnerable and believable person in her own right. She is motivated not only by adrenaline but also empathy with other characters and a conflicted relationship with her father.
The most modern games add in huge open worlds to explore and survive in. This ups the need to collect items and upgrade Lara as you do in a role-playing game. The puzzle-solving persists here too, both in main tomb complexes and smaller side-tomb quests although there is a focus on archaeological importance rather than hoarding valuable artefacts.
The original series:
- Tomb Raider (1996) available on PC, PlayStation, Mac, iOS, Android
- Tomb Raider II (1997) available on PC, PlayStation, Mac, iOS, Android
- Tomb Raider III (1998) available on PC, PlayStation, Mac
- The Last Revelation (1999) available on PC, PlayStation, Mac
- Chronicles (2000) available on PC, PlayStation, Mac
- The Angel of Darkness (2003) available on PC, PlayStation, Mac
The second series added more cinematic production and quick-time events where you have to press the right buttons quick enough to progress the filmic action sequences:
- Legend (2006) available on PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, GameCube, Xbox, Xbox 360
- Anniversary (2006) available on PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox 360, Wii, Mac, PlayStation 3
- Underworld (2008) Mac, PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, Wii, Xbox 360
The third series brought Lara to an open world and re-imagined her character and visual style for more modern audiences:
- Tomb Raider (2013) available on PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One
- Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015) available on PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2019) available on PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
There are also spin-off portable games:
- Tomb Raider on Gameboy Colour
- Curse of the Sword on Gameboy Colour
- The Prophecy on Gameboy Advance
- Relic Run (2015) available on iOS and Android
- Go (2016) available on iOS, Android, PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita,Mac
There are smaller action spin-off games:
- Guardian of Light (2010) available on Android, iOS, PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Temple of Osiris (2014) available on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider Digital Edition
Tomb Raider II Starring Lara Croft
Tomb Raider Underworld
Tomb Raider: Anniv.
Tomb Raider: Anniversary Psp
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Tomb Raider: Definitive Survivor Trilogy
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Additional in-game purchases are offered for items that enhance the experience. Shadow of the Tomb Raider offers in-game purchases for seven challenge tombs, weapons, outfits, and skills. You can get these together via the Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Tomb Raider or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Tomb Raider, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 18 or ESRB MATURE 17+ games.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.