This game is rated PEGI 16
Our review includes potentially triggering words:
assault, death, kill and killed.
Ignore All Content Warnings
Posted: 16 months ago, last updated 4 weeks ago.
There are currently 14 agents to choose from: Brimstone, Phoenix, Sage, Sova, Viper, Cypher, Reyna, Killjoy, Breach, Omen, Jett, Raze, Skye and Yoru. Once chosen you join the attacking or defending team. You must use your Agent's unique abilities to defeat the other team and achieve your objectives. You start with a "classic" pistol and one ability. To this you can add an assortment of weapons: submachine guns, shotguns, machine guns, assault rifles and sniper rifles.
There are different play modes available:
- Unrated - Best of 25 rounds. The attacking team has to get a bomb on one of multiple specified locations and then protect it for 45 second so it detonates.
- Spike Rush - Best of 7 rounds. All players on the attacking team carry a bomb, but only one can be activated per round.
- Competitive - Require 10 unrated match wins to enter.
- Deathmatch - 14 players have 10 minutes to kill 40 opponents.
Currently confirmed for PC, but the style of PEGI/ESRB rating suggest this will be Xbox One and PS4 as well.
Rated PEGI 16 because it features strong violence and sustained depictions of violence towards human characters. Combat violence is realistic as well as sustained, the difference between the two being the rapidity of a character’s death, which is allied to the weapon being used. Blood effects are seen whenever a character shot and headshots do not cause gross violence. Although team members and enemy characters remain in view after being killed, post-mortem mutilation is not possible.
The VSC expand on details about in-game purchases: This game offers players the opportunity to purchase in-game items outside of the main game. Players can unlock cosmetic content such as weapon skins (ranging from simple re-colours to alternate models), Gun Buddies (small keychains that dangle off the player’s gun), or Player Cards (profile images). While a handful of these cosmetic items are unlockable through gameplay, many are only available to purchase in the cash store or made available through “Contracts”. A Contract is a content pass that players can purchase with real money that allows players to unlock content such as skins, character cards, and Gun Buddies as they play the game. Parents or carers may want to be aware of these options. Parents, carers or other responsible adults should check to see what is being offered before making any purchase on behalf of a child. It should be noted that the game can still be played without the need to purchase such items.
ESRB rated TEEN with Blood, Language, Violence, Users Interact and In-Game Purchases. Players use an assortment of firearms (e.g., pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles) and special abilities (e.g., poison gas attacks, electric arrows, ninja-star throws) to kill opponents to complete mission objectives. Battles are frenetic and are accompanied by realistic gunfire, large explosions, and screen-shaking effects. Characters emit spurts of blood when shot, and quickly collapse to the ground when killed. The word “sh*t” is heard in the game.
In addition to the rating, it's good to note that (on PC, unconfirmed for PS4 and Xbox) you can turn off blood, mature content and corpses of dead characters in the game.
Skill Rating: This game is enjoyed by 14+ year-olds as it's a good match for their ability and maturity.
Users Interact: The game enables players to interact and communicate with each other, so may expose players to language usually associated with older rated games.
- Difficulty: Being an online competitive game means this doesn't have difficulty settings, although the game will match you with similar players.
- Reading: There is a considerable amount of reading of stats and weapons details and the text is not adjustable. No subtitles for voice-overs. No text to speech or speech to text.
- Controls: Remap keys, buttons and mouse mappings. Adjust sensitivity or movement and scope zoom. You can toggle crouch rather than hold button. You can't toggle to run though.
- Image calibration: Adjust rotation, size and zoom of the minimap. Visual effects for damage direction and bullet direction indicators to match audio cues. Enemy colour can be changed. Colour and size and style of crosshair target customisable.
- Audio calibration: Adjust the volume of effects, voice and music. Audio indications of other players, visual cues and direction of activity. Can select to have gameplay, agent, tactical and general announcement voice over to further narrate what's happening visually.
- Communication: Ping system lets you pick messages for other teammates that are then displayed and narrated. You can also set other default messages to buttons rather than speaking.
Our Valorant Accessibility Report details 4 accessibility features:
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Valorant or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Valorant, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16 or ESRB TEEN games.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.