Void Bastards Review
Posted: 11 months ago, last updated 7 weeks ago.
However, the rag-tag main characters also come with less helpful traits. You might be colour blind and only see in black and white. You might be a smoker who frequently coughs and alerts the guards. It's a novel take and works to undermine the usual power fantasy so players have to use their heads as much as quick reflexes.
- Difficulty: Five difficulty settings provided but not customisable.
- Reading: There is reading, but all text is voiced. The narrative text is small. There is a lot of text about weapons and characters that is all very small.
- Controls: You can remap PC keyboard controls but can't remap gamepads. You can adjust mouse and stick sensitivity. On controllers, you can toggle for run rather than holding, but have to hold to crouch. Vibration can be turned off.
- Image calibration: There is a comic book style word-visualisation representation of almost every important sound in the game. Step sounds on the other side of doors, even as far as different descriptions of different enemy sounds ("tap", "hover", "step"). Noises you make are also indicated with white lines.
- Audio calibration: Can control sounds and music separately. Can switch to mono. Night mode option, decreases volume of loud sounds.
Nintendo Switch has some built-in features, including a lockable zoom, that can be used on all games. Windows has extensive accessibility features. Some, like colour correction, work with games. Lots of accessibility software can be used with PC games, from voice recognition to input device emulators. PlayStation 4 has a range of accessibility settings. Some are system only, some work in games (invert colours and button mapping). Xbox One has a system features, the excellent co-pilot share controls mode and adaptive controller support for all games... read more about system accessibility settings.
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games for you. These offer a similar way to play to Void Bastards or are games with a similar theme or topic. These are good alternative games to Void Bastards, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 16+ or ESRB MATURE 17+ games.
Thank you for using our resource, supported by AskAboutGames, ParentZone and PlayAbility Initiative. We are editorially independent, written by parents for parents, but welcome sponsorship, partnership and suggestions. Email our editor for details on these opportunities.
The information on this database is designed to support and complement the in-depth discussion and advice about video game "addiction", violence, spending and online safety in the Taming Gaming book. If you have any concerns or questions in these areas, email our editor who is quick to respond or can arrange for a one-to-one conversation.