Posted: 20 months ago, last updated 10 months ago.
Each battle is divided between aviation, ground forces or fleet, rather than mixing these elements. This includes vehicles from different eras: pre-World War I naval vessels, tanks and aircraft from the Spanish Civil War and even the Iraq war and beyond. As you progress game brings in more elements fromWorld War II, Vietnam and the Cold War. You can control aircraft, ground vehicles and warships from USA, Germany, Russia, Britain, and Japan. You can also play as nations with smaller militaries or less prominence in conflicts, such as Italy, France, China and Sweden.
The land, air and sea are divided into different game modes:
- Arcade Battles has two teams of up to 16 with vehicles from different nations. Damage is simplified although still aims to be realistic.
- Realistic Battles are more advanced, simulating realistic physics and damage modelling. With this comes more rewards and upgrades as well as more strategic encounters. This mode can recreate historic battles.
- Simulator Battles add more restrictions to create a believable experience, with no head up display or exterior view of the action.
A single player mode is available focusing on historical settings as well as a cooperative mode against waves of computer controlled ground vehicles and aircraft.
You can play this game in the following styles:
This has been enjoyed by families in the following styles:
Rated for younger players in Australia. Rated Parental Guidance (PG) for Mild Violence.
12+ year-olds usually have the required skill to enjoy this game.
Our Game Pathways reveal how 11-year-olds play this game:
- 11-year-old: Flying War Planes
Account RatingYou need be 18-years-old to to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold for online play, but can then configure family accounts for younger players to play online with Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S.
You need be 18-years-old to subscribe to PlayStation Plus for online play, but can create sub-accounts for younger players of 7-years or older to play online with PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
|Xbox Series X|S||Free||–||–|
War Thunder: Full Alert Bundle
You need to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription to play online with PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
You need to purchase a Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online with Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S.
You can buy the game and some content to get started:
- Beginner's Bundle - M3A1 Stuart, Rasmussen's P-36A Hawk, Premium for 7 days, 500 Golden Eagles, 120 000 Silver Lions.
- T-72AV (TURMS-T) - Premium for 15 days, 2000 Golden Eagles.
- Full Alert Bundle - T14, BTD-1, Elco 80 ft PT-556, 1000 Golden Eagles, Premium for 7 days, 120 000 Silver Lions.
You can buy packs of Golden Eagle and Silver Lions currency which enables you to access new vehicles and speeds research. You can also buy packs of content:
- US Beginner's Pack
- German Starter Pack
- USSR Starter Pack
- USA Pacific Campaign Pack
- Japanese Pacific Campaign
- T-55AM-1 Pack
- Super AMX-30 Pack
- AV-8A Harrier Pack
The following in-game purchases are available:
War Thunder: Apache Bundle
War Thunder: Beginner's Bundle
War Thunder: Early Access Advanced Bundle
War Thunder: Early Access Starter Bundle
War Thunder: Prinz Eugen Bundle
War Thunder: Strv 103-0 Bundle
War Thunder: T-72Av (Turms-T) Bundle
We haven't documented accessibility features for this game yet. Our War Thunder Accessibility Report details system-wide settings that may help, and suggests similar games with accessibility features. Tweet the developer (@GaijinEnt) to let them know about our Accessibility Questionnaire.
Diversity and Inclusion
Our experts have hand-picked the following similar games. These are similar to War Thunder in how they play or their theme. These are good alternative games to War Thunder, or are a younger rated alternative for players not ready for PEGI 12 or ESRB TEEN games.